1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do you tell how old a chicken/hen is?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missythechicken, Nov 13, 2015.

1. missythechicken

missythechicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2015
    UK
    I've been told by someone my hens are 6 months to a year, but none of them have laid one egg yet.
    Then yesterday I was told they look way younger than that, and you can tell by the size of their combs?
    How do you roughly tell the age of a chicken?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

In young birds, 6 months or younger, you can usually tell if it's this young because the comb and wattles will still be small and pale. Older than that, you can guess a rooster's age by his spurs, and sometimes a hen can be checked by her feet. The older they are, the uglier their feet get. Yellow legged hens will also sometimes lose color from their shanks as they go into laying age.

3. missythechicken

Nov 11, 2015
    UK
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here they are

4. PowellAnimals

PowellAnimals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    Muncy, Pennsylvania
    Your Dominique look exactly like my 14 week old ones. My 22 week old Dominique has a much redder comb and the same for my 18 week old Australorp.

5. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    My bar rocks (your last picture) looks about the same age and mine are four month turning five months old they are not laying yet.

6. QueenMisha

In picture #1, you have a bantam hen on the right. She has a nice red comb and wattle, I'd say she's getting close to laying. Not sure if you already know, but I'm pretty sure the bird on the left is a cockerel. I'd need a better picture to confirm. In picture #2 and #3 you have two pullets, I would say are approximately 4 months old.

7. missythechicken

Nov 11, 2015
    UK
    Yes, the one on the left, is a cockerel. The seller told me they have smaller combs because of the breed?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  8. dwf2012

dwf2012 New Egg

Nov 14, 2015
    Does anyone have vent pictures from hens that are no longer laying eggs so I know which birds to thin out?

9. QueenMisha

I've had Dom hens with combs the size of a rooster's. In rose combed breeds even hens should have thick, meaty combs. Not sure what the breed is on the black (Australorp possibly) but I can tell by the color alone that her comb is immature.

10. missythechicken

Nov 11, 2015
    UK
    They're all bantams of some variation, pekins mainly but one Wyandotte an one pekin x game?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by