How do you tell if a chicken is show quality?

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
My daughters want to enter some of our chickens into the local fair. I've entered one of our silkies and a Mille Fleur d'uccle. I really don't think our silkie is show quality. Do I still let the girls enter it? What's the worst that can happen...we make a fool out of ourselves?
lol.png

Here are the two they want to enter:

12304_millefleur.jpg

12304_millefleur1.jpg

12304_silkie2.jpg

12304_silkie1.jpg

Last edited:
There's a lot to be learnt from preparing and presenting a bird for show regardless of the quality. The most horrible thing that can happen to people at shows here is if their bird is found to have lice or be sick because then they get immediately removed from the shed by the chief steward. Always make sure they do not have parasites and never enter a sick bird. Aside from that it's all about learning. If the bird has bad faults or doesn't meet the standard it could get disqualified. So what. You'll still have great day and see a pile of interesting birds. It's always good to be familiar with the relevant breed standard. Grab a copy of that and see how close your bird is.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Our chickens had mites a while back, but thanks to a major cleaning out of the coop and run and also the local feed store getting DE, we're all clear now. I've bathed the chickens, clipped nails (I do that frequently anyways), and lathered their feet up with vasoline to help get rid of the last few scales left.

I'm gonna run out and see if I can get some pics real quick...maybe that would help...

BTW...be honest about the pics. Should I just forget entering them? I KNOW my silkie isn't show quality, but they want to enter her. If they're going to DQ, would they do it before we enter them?

I don't know a thing about Mottled D'Uccles (Mille Fluer is a different color), but she sure is cute. As for the Silkie it isn't a very good bird. Chances of it winning are next to zero, but it may not be Disqualified. Disqualifications include bright red comb, face, and wattles. Shanks not feathered down the outer sides. Feathers not truly silkie (except in primaries, secondaries, let, toe, and main tail feathers.) Vulture hawks.

Good luck!

Thanks RhodeRunner. I should have made them enter my Barred Rock. She's a very pretty bird with perfect legs, comb, etc. She's our prettiest chicken we own. It's too late to change the breed. Oh well. Next year....

I've been to a couple local poultry shows, and check #1 is for bugs & illness. If they pass, they go to caging. That is where the judges decide who the winners are. My OEGB's get DQ'd every show, because I don't dub them. Oh well. The kids still have fun. They don't care if they have a DQ on their scorecard. And I"m not going in hopes of any ribbons, so nobody leaves disappointed.

Quote:
Well then, I'm just gonna go ahead and enter them now! I'm not looking for any ribbons. I know we won't get any with the 2 they picked. Heck, we'll at least get free admission into the fair by entering them!

They should do fine at a local fair. The d'Uccle is better than the Silkie. BTW, the d'Uccle is a Mottled, not a Mille Fleur.

Back
Top Bottom