How do you tell if a duck is wild or dropped off?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by davekrista, May 13, 2011.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    I know you shouldn't try to "domesticate" a wild duck and I also know a domesticated duck can't survive in the wild. Which is why I need an answer. How do you tell if a duck is domestic or wild?

I was draining and cleaning our duck pond and I heard my 8 y/o say something to my 6 and 3 y/o's in sort of like a whisper. So i looked up and saw what looked like a baby duck, over by our fire pit making her way to the drain pipe. She started to drink the water that was draining out of the pipe. Where I live is all woods behind us and we only have 1 neighbor on the side of us, which is far enough away that you can't see the house from our house. The house next door is vacant. Across the street is a soccer field and sports complex for indoor sports. We are kind of in the middle of no where and there is no lakes or rivers around.

We have never seen any ducks in the area in the 2 years we have been here. Just ours. You can see our chicken and duck pens from the street, and we don't know of any neighbors on our street that have or have had ducks. So I am trying to figure out if this "baby" is a duck that has been dropped off, or is wild. She looked pretty young. Had the coloring of a rouen, with blue on the tips of the wings. IF this is a wild duck, wouldn't momma be real close by watching over? I didn't see or hear any other ducks.

Since she was drinking from the drained water, I got a handful of food and slowly approached her with the food but she ran then flew. Just a few feet from where i was. So i bent down and put my hand with the food out and started talking to her, but my daughter ran to her (she was excited) and the duck flew off to a tree in the woods. Still didn't hear any other ducks and the "baby" didn't even quack. Do rouens fly? I'm trying to figure out the breed and a possible age. Also need to figure out if it is wild or was dropped off. I have a feeling it will be back at some point, but if it is not wild I would love to add it to our flock so i know it will survive. Any advice or tips would be very appreciated.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    When you say flew to a tree, do you mean in the tree?

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    well were i live its like that in the middle of nowhere. and there are wood ducks ever where here they are much smaller than other ducks. if you cloud maybe you could post a pic. i mite be able to tell then. if you can get close enough try to get a pic of its feet and head if you can. if you want to find some wood ducks around your place take a thistle and blow it off and on and if you have any wood ducks they should start pouring in. hope that helps.

4. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:Yes. Flew in the tree. Not very high, but higher than I would be able to reach.

5. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:I googled wood ducks and this one didn't look anything like them.... looked exactly like the rouen pics when i googled them... I didn't have my camera with me, i'm hoping next time I see it, i will have the camera. My hubby has a camera on his phone and he is usually outside with his phone, so i'm praying we see it this weekend. I just think its weird because we have never ever seen any ducks before until now.

6. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I'm thinking that its a perching duck, never seen a domestic/wild mallard (if it looks like a rouen) fly and land in a tree.
    Wood duck
    Escape mandarin
    etc.

p.s. so its not a duckling necessarily because it is feathered out and has flight feathers to fly, so it does have the head coloring of a mallard though?

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  7. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:No it did not have a green head, it was all 1 color, the rouen color includig the head. Only other color was the wing tips were blue. Definately not wood duck judging from the pics on google images.

I know it is hard with out a pic. Especially for a novice like myself. If she comes back I will do everything i can to get a decent pic.
    About how old are they when they get flight feathers? And if she comes back should I try to keep her? I want to do the right thing but only have experience with pekins. My ducks were not freaked out by her. All 4 of my pekins started running to the other side of the fence closer to where the "baby" was. And was quacking up a storm to her.

8. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
  9. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Could have been female wood ducks or female mallard.

10. davekrista

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    Quote:No it didn't look like that..... This is not a pic of "her" but one that looks like her that i saw on google.... I was thinking she was young but someone pointed out she had flight feathers. I made a point to see if she had a drake feather and she did not. She looked like a younger version of this pic. Much smaller and not so fat
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by