how do you tell if hen broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Axle Quails, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    well my hen been in the corner all day and puffed tail and she has'nt moved.

What could this mean she broody or something else?

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

What breed? How old? Is she on a nest? Did she try to sleep there?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    When my hens go broody, this is what they do:
    -flatten themselves out over a nest and sit ALL day long
    -growl viciously if I so much as look in their direction
    -attack relentlessly if I should be brave enough to stick my hand in there to search for eggs
    And an absolute dead giveaway?
    -the dreaded broody bomb, the most giant, ickiest poo you'll ever have the misfortune of seeing!

1 person likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Broody bomb! [​IMG] Yes! When a broody gets real serious and spends all her time on the nest, she "saves up".

Another thing most broodies have are bare-naked spots on their breasts from plucking out their feathers so their body heat transfers better to the eggs. You'll notice your broody is considerably hotter than normal hens.

Another thing a broody does is the "broody cluck". When she's off the nest she'll walk around clucking a low, persistent cluck, unlike what the others normally sound like. She'll do this until she lays her final egg. Then she'll sit the nest and you can't blast her off with anything.

The easiest way to tell a broody is to take her off the nest, and if she immediately zips back to the nest and stays there, she's broody.

5. horsymom

horsymom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Socorro
    Do young hens practice being broody without really being serious about it? My 8 month old EE hen sits in the nest box after the the others have laid, stays there from about 11am until about 3pm. She's not mean or threatening when I take the eggs, just there, doesn't want to move, comes right back if moved. She and her sister just started laying about a month ago, still not very consistent about it. She'll even do this on days I don't find any green eggs in the nest.

6. Axle Quails

May 1, 2011
    London
    Yeah she being clucking really werid i got her off and like 3 mins after she went back on i left eggs on the floor and she rolled them under her.. and her comb gone flappy :S and her tail feathers are puffed up..

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You definitely have a broody. You can choose to let her sit on eggs for the next 21 days or you can break her. To do that you'll need to confine her in an open mesh-bottom cage with no bedding in a lighted area, preferably with a fan blowing under her at night to keep air circulating to break the broody cycle. It is usually accomplished in about three days, and she can be laying again in a couple of weeks.

8. Axle Quails

May 1, 2011
    London
    I Put 5 eggs under her :) im hoping she can hatch them :)...lets hope she be a good mom as she is a bantam aswell :)

9. Axle Quails

May 1, 2011
    London
    Day 18 tomorrow for the broody!!!

10. chicken-head

chicken-head New Egg

Feb 11, 2013
    Co.derry
    Am on day 13 on incubator wish me luck.I've a mix batch in this time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by