How do you tell sex of Silkies??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rufflemyfeathers, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I have three Silkies a couple weeks old now..how one tell which is male and which is female??

2. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    when they crow or lay an egg, they're tough to sex up to maturity

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have two that are 2.5 months old. All they do is sit on eggs, so I'm assuming they are both pullets [​IMG]

4. The males crow, the females do not. [​IMG]

I have had silkies for some time now. Darn if they are not hard to tell the difference. Usually the hens have a smaller comb, but this seems not to be always the case. Some say you can tell by the earlobes. I can tell by the size of the chicken more than any thing else.

During this time, you should be able to see how is showing signs of being a roo. I band all my hens as soon as I see them lay eggs or get a roo on top of them.

5. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Silkies can be difficult to sex but this is what I do. Look very closely at their combs. A lot of the time pullets are smooth and cockerels have tiny bumps. Observe their behavior. Cockerels like to challenge each other often. Pullets engage in this behavior also but not to the degree of cockerels. Some are easy to figure out and others you just can't tell until they crow or lay an egg.

6. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    what age do silkies lay? or crow?

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 6-week old Silkies. One is bigger than the other, and I've definitely seen that one challenging other chicks. Would it be safe to assume that one is probably a roo? No guarantee until he(?) crows, I know [​IMG]

8. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Until I see an egg or hear a crow........ That is what I have learned to live by!!!! There have been times where you think you might know the sex and then whoops.. it is just the complete opposite. Cockerels will usually have streamers and pullets have a more rounded top, but there are always exceptions! I still love them!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  9. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Mine usually crow by 4-5 months and lay eggs between 6-8 months.

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My boys are 6 months and just started crowing this past week.

You wont be able to tell for sure until around 6 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by