How do you tell showgirl gender?

JenO

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Newberg, OR
I got this critter as a chick (prolly 2-3 weeks according to the lady that gave it to me) the first week of September. It's not crowing yet so I take that as a good sign, and of course it's not laying yet either. I have no idea what to look for on a showgirl.

55359_009.jpg

55359_008.jpg

Hope I did the pics right...

I am no help since I have one also I can't tell that's about the same age. Mine doesn't have any wattles yet tho that I can see! Might be a bit young yet to tell for sure, but if I had to guess on yours I'd say boy due to those wattles.. Here's mine, born august 17th! I can't tell what mine is yet but it acts like a boy.
smile.png

P1010119.jpg

Last edited:
Well I hope you are wrong, as I can't keep a rooster in town. Maybe he'll be a quiet one.
wink.png
I've kinda suspected boy for a while as he's tried to jump on my hens a couple of times.

Yours is way cuter than mine.
wink.png
But I'm still happily proud of my ugly bird.

Mine acts very pushy and chatty, but has not yet started trying to get with the ladies, so I'm still hoping for a pullet. However, I think mine is probably a roo. If yours is doing all that at the same age as mine, with those wattles I am guessing roo also but keep in mind I'm not even close to an expert!

As you both can tell, I am newer than ya'll....but I have to ask, what type of chickens are those?
They remind me of Silkies, but the necks have no feathers? Or is that how a teenage Silkie looks?
Thanks
Crickett

I believe they are silkies that carry a naked neck gene. Now how you get that, I don't know. Mine just popped out of a silkie lot of eggs I bought from another BYC'er.
smile.png

Showgirls are a silkie crossed with a naked neck and bred back to silkie. Silkie feathering does not come until the 2nd generation. An early generation showgirl is not nearly as nice as one that is 10 or 15 generations (or more) into development,

Silkies develop much later than many other breeds, so do not expect to tell easily until the bird is at least 6 months old. Maybe you will be surprised and learn earlier, but do not count on it. It could also be much later. Wattles and comb are no clue for either silkies or showgirls (usually).

While a male showgirl will not display streamers on its hackle (as the hackle feathers are not present
wink.png
), you should see some at the back of the crest. Type and size are considerations, but you need to compare to other showgirls of the same age.

Quote:
Thanks Sonoran Slikies! Good to know all hope is not lost. The mounting behavior was only shortly after I started integrating 'her' into the rest of the flock so I'm still hoping it was just pecking order behavior. I won't be able to compare since I've only got the one (my others are BSL and EE)

Back
Top Bottom