How do you tell the age of Mille Fleur D'uccles?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by devin0, Oct 23, 2010.

1. devin0

devin0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Fogo Island, NL
    Hi. I would like to know if there are any pointers to finding out how old my d'Uccles are. Thanks

2. devin0

Jun 19, 2010
    Fogo Island, NL
    anyone?

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Feather pattern development, for one. If you're talking about ages under one year, look at the feather development. Does it have a true Mille Fleur patterning yet? If not, how much? And it is past that - How big are the male's spurs? How do the male's or female's beak look at the tip? How heavy are they?

4. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Check their teeth. Oh wait, that's horses. Never mind.

5. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

[​IMG]

6. devin0

Jun 19, 2010
    Fogo Island, NL
    They are definitely over a year old. The hens' beaks are kind of starting to curl over the bottom one. I don't know if they were cut before. They only laid three eggs since August when I got them. They were fertile. The previous owner never had any eggs from them, and he had them for maybe half a year - year.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    In that, then, I'd say they're far over 2 years old. A good way of telling older ages is how long the previous owner had them, and of course how often they lay.

Are they pet/hatchery quality or show/breeder quality? That's another good way to determine age, as a pet quality one is likely to lay more eggs due to it being bred solely for egg production.

Edit: I'm assuming breeder quality basing on where you live

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  8. devin0

Jun 19, 2010
    Fogo Island, NL
    Can you list some qualities of both pet/hatchery quality and breeder quality so I can decide.
    PS. I don't wanna post pics at the moment because they are molting and a little sick from a flu that all my chickens got. (Don't worry I got them antibiotics so hopefully they'll get over it soon)

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:SIlly, you cut them in half & count the rings.

10. devin0

Jun 19, 2010
    Fogo Island, NL
    Quote:SIlly, you cut them in half & count the rings.

Another [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by