How do you tell the diff between splay leg and just gimpy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minpinmama, Apr 1, 2012.

1. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Two of the chicks that hatched yesterday are kind of gimpy, was wondering how one
    can tell the difference between splay leg or just weak and gimpy.
    The two in question only one has one leg that kind of sticks to the side a little.
    Both walk gimpy, they were also lazy babies that wouldn't work to hatch and were smaller and weaker than
    all the others.

2. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    bump

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Give them 24 hrs to "fix" themselves, if they get worse look up spraddle leg in a search. Most peeps use a band-aid treatment. Please post the outcome. :hugs

4. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    The little stinker passed away today. He was one of three I helped out of the egg and I kind
    of felt he might not make it, though at times he surprised me but all of a sudden he went down hill.
    My granddaughter wanted to say her Good Byes before he died, I laid a heated towel and put the
    chick in it. She talked to it gently, pet it tenderly and gave it a name, it was still alive of course
    but I reminder her even if he did die he needed heat and the sound of his siblings so we put him
    back and he died shortly after. Our granddaughter asked for some fabric to wrap it in from my sewing room and she tenderly took it outside where granddaughter and grandpa gave it a proper burial.
    The other two are doing great.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by