1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do you tell the difference between a dominique and a barred rock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by picklespickles, Dec 1, 2007.

1. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    they look so similar to me.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Barred rocks have single combes.
    Dominiques have a rose comb.

3. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Barred Rocks are a larger fowl also. I have raised both. Both are great layers. My BR's tended to weigh a bit more.

4. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    thanks

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

6. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    thanks. seeing them side by side and i am glad to see IT'S NOT MY FAULT i can't tell them apart. will read the info. [​IMG]

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Pickels, I not only couldn't tell them apart, I was too dumb to know I couldn't tell them apart!! What I now know to be Barred Rocks have been called Dominiques since I picked them up from the feed store 8 months ago!! ...hopefully they haven't suffered any emotional trauma, lol!! I am having a terrible time thinking of them as other than Doms though since that is all I have known them to be till now. I do like their combs better than the flat Dominique ones though so I am pretty happy with what they turned out to be, lol!! Darlene

8. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    if they were real kids, they would sue you for their therapy bills. but since they're chicken kids.........well, you got off easy. [​IMG]

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I never bought them a bicycle either so I'm sure they are headed for a life of crime!! [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wonder what I did to my BR girl, Ivy, to make her sneak up the steps and onto the deck four times a day to try to steal scratch out of that magic red can, LOL? Bad girl!! I never called her a Dom!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by