How do you tell the difference between Mule and Muscovy ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bossynbella, Aug 18, 2011.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    We have a muscovy hen who hatched out ten ducklings about two weeks ago, she lost 4 so now has six. There are two that are HUGE compared to the other four, we have a muscovy drake but also have some anacona and Rouen drakes. Yesterday I saw the Anacona chasing my other muscovy hen around. So now I am worried I ended up with some Mule ducks. How long till I can tell if they are pure Muscovy or not? and What are the signs?

Thanks
    Melissa

2. casslarrabee225

casslarrabee225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Mid-Coast, Maine
    My Coop
    I found out around 8-9 weeks with my Khaki's. That's when I started to see the greenish feathers on the head of my males. Wasn't 100% until about 13 weeks when the tail feathers started to curl. Not sure if it's the same with Covy's though.

3. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    My question wasn't how to tell if they are boys or girls. Its how to tell if they are pure Muscovy's or if they are crossed with my other ducks = thus producing Mule (sterile) ducks

Sorry if I wasn't clear to begin with!
    Thanks
    Melissa

4. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Well I find that mules have a different shaped bill. They tend to be more on the mallard based side. The pattern can also give them away. If the rouen fathered some they may be a mallard based pattern. Anocna is harder to tell though

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    You may never know for sure and they may not all have the same dad. If any take more after mom they may look muscovy. I have ducklings out of my runners and some look just like mom, blue but I did not have a blue male so.
    Are you wanting to know to sell them?

6. bossynbella

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Yes, and to know what to keep. I don't want to sell them as muscovys and end up with them being Mule ducks (which I can sell for meat probably) and I want to keep some but I don't want to keep the mule ducks, as I am building a muscovy flock. I plan to pen up my non muscovy drakes after this, I just thought they would stick to their own like they did in the spring. Nope not this time. I will try to get some more pictures and see what you all think.
    Thanks
    Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by