How Do You Tell the Difference Between Stanbridge Whites and Pekins?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Captain Cluck, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    Can someone help me ID a drake in my little flock?

He is the White drake "Stanley" - I don't know how to tell the difference between a Stanbridge White and a Pekin. About all I have learned is that the Stanbridge's bill has a slight dish, but no mention of size, etc.

Here is a pic of him this past summer:

[​IMG]

BTW, the others are a Welsh Harlequin drake with a Swedish and 2 Magpie ducks. (at least I think they are Magpies or Anconas?)
    I want to get some matching ducks for Stanley, but need to know what he is first.

Thank you for your help.

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    He looks pekin to me, but I'm no expert. Stanbridge Whites are developed from an all-white magpie, so if you got him from the same hatch as those magpies, there's a good chance that's what he is (a white magpie, which is not precisely a Stanbridge White, but often they are discussed interchangeably). If he came from pretty much anywhere else, I would say pekin. In any event, they are very pretty!

3. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    Thank you! I guess I will have to hatch some ducklings from him and one of the magpies and see what I get? Has anyone crossed a SW x Magpie or Pekin X Magpie? What did you get?
    I am still learning genetics.

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a white Magpie that I got from curiositycat up there. I have 3 eggs in my bator...Pekin females and my Magpie or it could be my other drake a blue Runner. I will post pics when the babies are born coz I am also curious to see if he will kick out a Magpie looking baby. We will soon see...I have 1 ready to hatch on the 15th and 2 on the 20th. Here is my white Magpie, my blue Runner and a Pekin female
    [​IMG]

5. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Great picture, gofasterstripe! From the picture, the stanbridge looks pretty similar to the pekin--are there distinguishing differences, other than gender?

6. gofasterstripe

Funny you should say that coz this is the last Pekin female I bought. She doesnt look like my other Pekins, she is alot smaller and looks like William more than them. More refined in the face and neck and not half as chunky as the Pekins. Here are 2 of my other Pekin girls. You prolly cant see the difference but if you saw them in person you will see a big difference. This is the duck I asked not long ago if anyone thought she was a Pekin or a Stanbridge White.
    [​IMG]

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Is the new one the one on the right? They do look different from each other, but I'd be hard pressed to tell whether they were the same breed or not.

8. gofasterstripe

Quote:The bottom photo is 2 Pekin girls. The 1 im not sure about is in the photo with Finn and William

9. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Ooo, I see what you're saying about the more refined face. Compared to the bottom two, she looks more like William than a pekin... hmmm... where did she come from again?

10. gofasterstripe

Anderson Jockey Lot...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by