How do you tell the gender in Canadian Geese?

bernie131

Songster
6 Years
Apr 26, 2016
Kansas City, Kansas
I have been going to the community college for years to feed a Pekin duck that was abandoned there and in the process got to know a pair of Canadian geese that have had there second brood of goslings and I have always fed them seed everyday for 4 yrs. I think I know the gender of the goslings from last year, they still come up to me to eat out of my hand BUT Dad and Mom chases them away WHEN they are our family. Anyway the goslings are starting to have different personalities, one loves to pull at all my jewelry and goes behind me and pecks me and the third wants to be hand fed. ANYWAY in the last 5 days we have lost Dad,...they have all ways been together but Mom is distraught and won't eat and I don't know why after all these years Dad would leave. He guarded everyone very aggressively but also would eat out my hand along with Mom, taking turns with being a lookout.
I AM HEARTBROKEN,..what to do?? AND my original question how do I know the gender???

Ganders are generally about 20 % larger than geese, stand taller, and have somewhat longer necks. If he is missing, my gut says that he is dead. They never leave their mate willingly. Once while judging a field trial in RI I saw a road killed Canada goose by one of the exits. It's mate was there standing guard over the body the first four days that I was there. On the fifth day he was gone.

Back
Top Bottom