How do you tell the sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thereverend, May 31, 2010.

1. thereverend

thereverend Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    I just answered an ad for Free Chickens that are 8 Weeks old. I am going to get them today
    but need to know how to tell what sex they are. I have 7 girls now and would be adding the 6 Others to my flock
    will the 8 week olds get along with the older girls and how on earth do i know they are in fact girls.. and not roosters
    the person giving them to me SAYS they are girls but how do i know for sure. Also they are giving me 1 rooster
    i was going to let the rooster be free range while the others stay in a coop and pen. Will the rooster try to break into the
    girls.. please answer as fast as possible i need to know.. thanks

Hey if you want to share pictures of your girls please help me out by
    supporting my FREE image hosting web site at www.freepixxhost.com
    its free to upload and i started it for all my friends!

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    we can't tell what they are if we don't have pictures.. at 8 weeks you can start to tell, but I would not put the chickens with your birds until they are quarinteed for at least a month, to make sure you are not bringing in any disease. the only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs, and we keep our roosters with our hens, they will protect them and alert any danger usually. 1 rooster to 11 hens would be fine, your rooster needs to be in at night to protect him from predators also. I wouldn't take the rooster if you don't intend to keep him with your hens.

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Technically, you need to keep the new chickens seperate from your flock for atleast 3 weeks, preferably 4 weeks. This is to make sure that you do not introduce any illnesses to your own flock. Just because they look healthy doesn't really mean alot. Once introduced to your flock, there will be some pecking for several days. That is normal. Just keep an eye on them to be sure it doesn't get to rough. As for the rooster, I have a free ranger and he hangs out next to the coop, or even on the roof of the coop. But so far, hasn't bothered to get in. He can, but just hasn't. Mainly because I have other roosters that would probably put the smack down on him if he did get in.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. thereverend

May 15, 2010
    Ok i dont have any pictures of them as i have not picked them up yet.
    But i was rather looking for advice on how to segragate out the males from
    the females BEFORE i got them.. please let me know

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Depending on what breed the free chickens are, the males will have bigger combs and wattles than the females. They may also be a bit bigger. That is all I know about sexing chickens...haven't had the nerve to 'look up their skirts' to see what is under all those feathers! lol I purchased 12 that were supposed to be all girls, but one is obviously not a girl. They are about 6 weeks old and the boy's comb is much bigger than the hens and he is getting wattles under his beak and none of the girls are. So that should help you some with figuring out who is what.

6. thereverend

May 15, 2010
    Can you eat eggs that have been fertilized? I collect the eggs every morning.. so... can you tell me??

7. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Quote:Yes you can eat them. An egg takes more than a day to develop into an embryo so as long as you collect them every day, you can eat them. I eat fertilized eggs all the time [​IMG]

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:YES, and you will have a hard time telling fertile ones from non fertile eggs.

9. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    Heres what I have found since beginning my chicken habit. Fertilized eggs taste the same as non-fertile. If you can tell its fertile you are eating an unrefrigerated 2 week old egg! I have heavy breeds and EE's. My heavy breeds: Roos feather slower, are larger , appear to lack tail feathers, stand very erect, redder and notably bigger combs and wattles, and much thicker longer legs. My EE are harder to to tell, but I think I have 1 roo and he has a redder wattle with more defined "bumps" on his pea comb. Also ask what breed they are. I have 1 black sex link and all BSL pullets are black with some red color on chest/ neck, the roos would be barred. I am NO expert but this forum has helped me a lot with learning. Good Luck!!

10. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    probably the best thing to do is post pictures when you get them, usually if the person you got them from konws a lot about chickens maybe she will be right and they are all hens! that would be nice. we eat our eggs, they are mostly fertile because we have 4 roosters in with about 40 hens. They don't taste different, people thing being fertile means that little gunky thing attatched to the yolk, but it really is a little bullseye dot. here is a really good picture.... http://animalsinthecity.webs.com/FertileEggPic.jpg
    also
    if you are getting a rooster that you havn't been around don't turn your back on him! out of all our roosters, we have had a lot.... only 2 have been mean and tried to flog us every time they got a chance, one was a brahma and the other my white crested black polish.
    when do you get them? if they see each other across a fence line they usually get used to each other then you can just let them together and watch closely! my DH swears by putting them in together at night when it is dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by