how do you tell what gender a chick is?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickens mealt here in AZ, Apr 19, 2019.

1. chickens mealt here in AZ

chickens mealt here in AZ In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2019
    Arizona
    I want to know because I am planning to buy some chicks and can't tell the difference. my friend said there is a flap under their wing but I don't know pls tell me how to tell the difference.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. Broodygranny

Broodygranny Songster

Mar 23, 2018
    Unless they are sex link chicks, then it is pretty hard to tell until they are about 6 weeks old. You maybe able to watch some videos about how to vent sex them, but I don't think I can see that well! How old are the chicks? Many hatcheries sell chicks that have already been sexed.

Trux and Mybackyardpeepers like this.
  3. chickens mealt here in AZ

Apr 19, 2019
    Arizona
    I haven't bought any yet but would like to learn so I can make sure I don't get a rooster

Trux likes this.
  4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    My first Flock, I bought sex-links Golden Comets at a local farm and feed.
    My second Flock I bought from TSC in the Barred Rock pullets bin.
    If you don't want cockerels/boys. Don't buy from the straight run bin.
    There is a chance you may get a boy even in the pullets bin, unless its a red sex-links type like Golden Comets. The boys are white, the girls are red. GC
    ETA; Black sex-links boys have a white spot on their head, girls have Black heads.

5. Trux

Trux Songster

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    What breed are you wanting to raise? Then where do you plan to buy them? TBH since it is your first time, I would suggest buying from a hatchery where you can order males or females. Murry McMurry, Cackle. Meyers, all come to mind. Also since you are in AZ be aware that a case of vND (virulent Newcastle disease) was discovered a couple weeks back in Coconino county. Please read up on vND so you know what your dealing with
    https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ease-information/avian/virulent-newcastle/vnd
    There is a link for you to check out has info on the current outbreak.

6. chickens mealt here in AZ

Apr 19, 2019
    Arizona
    I am planning to get RIRs and a Plymouth rock I think I will buy from cackle but im still curiose

7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    If you want to make sure you don't get any boys, you'll need to get sex links or older birds, where the genders are more easily determined by color, patterns or feather growth. There's about a 10% error rate on sexed birds otherwise. Absolutely do not get straight run.

Your friend's technique sounds like an old wives tale.

8. chickens mealt here in AZ

Apr 19, 2019
    Arizona
    Ya your most likely right but shes never gotten a rooster before:hmm

9. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Enabler

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Does she buy from the pullet bin or straight run?? The pullets are already sexed

rosemarythyme likes this.
  10. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Unless you buy a Sexlinked breed there is no 100% guarantee of not getting a male. If your ordering Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks have a plan for rehoming males if you should get some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: