how do you tell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AK_Button_Mama, Jan 3, 2009.

1. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    how can you tell (other than laying eggs) the sex in a hen from the roos? I was given a chicken the other day and I was told it was a rooster (she said she SAW it crowing) anyway I think it is a hen. it looks exactly like my other hen (she is a OEGH seabright mix) jsut a slightly different color I will try to get a pic and post it of them together

Anyway I dont know if there is a trick to figuring out if this new one is a boy... he (if it is a boy) is terrified of the girl. he was in solitary confinement at my friends house for killing 3 silkie pullets.

I am hoping it is a boy but I guess if its a girl more eggs for me!!!!

2. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Well if its a roo, you'll know soon enough if indeed he really has started crowing. I'd certainly be a more that a little leery of putting him/her in with your birds if its already has several kills under its belt. I know a person who put a roo in with 20 pullets and he killed them all in a single day. I'd call him stew and let him prove otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  3. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    well he /she killed a couple younger than him. now he is getting his butt kicked by my other little chicken. so I separted him/her from the one i had already I was hoping that it was a roo so I could incubate the eggies.... do they fight to estabish dominace? is it a male thing? am I better off jsut keeping the one I KNOW is a female and get some new babies who are rasied together? I guess I was just wondering if there was any obvious sign that it is a boy other than crowing (like I know some roos get big combs and pretty feathers... are the little oegb/seabrights gender neutral?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by