How do you tell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by team_realtree, Jan 18, 2010.

1. team_realtree

team_realtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    My flock will have 1 rooster so how do I know whether the egg is fertile or not since I am trying to hatch them? Will you be able to candle them and tell right after day 1?

Also if the hen is not broody and will let me get at the egg wouldn't it be dead because she has neglected to keep it warm?

2. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    If you do a search, there are some great pictures that show fertilized eggs.

3. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
  4. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Also if the hen is not broody and will let me get at the egg wouldn't it be dead because she has neglected to keep it warm?

5. slickchik

slickchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    The embryo won't begin developing until the egg is incubated. Fertile eggs can sit for 7-10 days before incubation. That is how a clutch of eggs will hatch all on the same day (roughly) because the hen won't sit on them until she is done laying. When she is done laying, she begins to sit on them and then the embryos begin to develop.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:That's also how we can hatch eggs that have been in the mail for a few days [​IMG]

7. team_realtree

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:That's also how we can hatch eggs that have been in the mail for a few days [​IMG]

Thanks for the information I wondered how everyone was buying eggs online and still hatching....clears that up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by