How do you think antibiotics are best administered?

DucksOhio

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 17, 2016
Northeast Ohio
Oh my poor Sugar has had more issues with her left foot following an amputation of her left toe from infection in May of last year.

Now, she’s got a big honker on her heel (site of amputation).

We went to the vet, and agreed that this was NOT bumblefoot. She had a week or 2 with Metacam, no improvement, while we were waiting on culture results. No thanks to USPS to delaying delivery to the lab! 2 weeks, thank you USPS!

Results can in today, which indicated staphylococcus and ecolI. My vet sent a subscription to CVS, and asked me if I wanted injectable, pills or oral meds. I said injectable, because it’s easier, but he said the oral liquid might be more effective.

the medicine is sulfamthoxaz, which I believe is Baytril.

So, in gathering opinions, which is the best method? Oral or injectable?

thanks as always.

Sorry to hear about Sugar. 🙁

If your vet says oral is more effective go with that. Personally I find tablets or capsules WAY easier to give than liquid. My ducks find it less upsetting, too, because I hide it in a grape tomato. They eat it like a treat. But if you find liquid easy, do whatever works for you.
I’ve never tried giving my ducks tomatoes..didn’t know if they liked them. I only learned recently that they love kale.

I’ve never tried giving my ducks tomatoes..didn’t know if they liked them. I only learned recently that they love kale.
Yes, yes, ducks love me. ;-)

Tomatoes seem to be a favorite to some ducks and ignored by others. But if they scarf them up like mine do it is the easiest least stressful way to deliver medication that I have found. Basically like pill pockets, if you are familiar with those for dogs and cats. Obviously they have to be eating well for it to work, and be friendly enough to take food from your hand.

I cut the top off a grape tomato so the entire thing is just longer than the pill I am giving. Then slice it down length wise to separate the lobes, so I have one lobe fully intact. The very moment before I give the med to my duck I slide the medication inside and hand it to her. If I have other ducks around I give them treats in my other hand.

I have two ducks who take meds daily, so I wanted to make their experience at positive as possible.

the medicine is sulfamthoxaz, which I believe is Baytril.
It is not Baytril, Baytril is enrofloxacin.
Results can in today, which indicated staphylococcus and ecolI. My vet sent a subscription to CVS, and asked me if I wanted injectable, pills or oral meds. I said injectable, because it’s easier, but he said the oral liquid might be more effective.
CVS sells injectable antibiotics? I prefer injectable, but I don't think CVS sells injectable sulfa drugs, and they don't sell Baytril either. Ask your vet if they will sell you some injeeactable Baytril.

I am having a terrible time trying to get the medicine down her throat. I’ve never had much luck with oral meds for the ducks. It just drips down her neck. I’ve tried 3 times today and she really needs this medicine.

I’ve read several posts on how to this, avoid the trachea, etc. I’m getting really frustrated. I have no one to help me. I’m going to have to ask my vet for an injectable medicine.

Plus, we had a huge snow storm last night and it’s about 19 degrees out. all The ducks are staying in the barn today and they hate me.

I am having a terrible time trying to get the medicine down her throat. I’ve never had much luck with oral meds for the ducks. It just drips down her neck. I’ve tried 3 times today and she really needs this medicine.

I’ve read several posts on how to this, avoid the trachea, etc. I’m getting really frustrated. I have no one to help me. I’m going to have to ask my vet for an injectable medicine.

Plus, we had a huge snow storm last night and it’s about 19 degrees out. all The ducks are staying in the barn today and they hate me.
Have you seen my article?
Safely Administering Oral Medications to All Poultry and Waterfowl

Back
Top Bottom