How do you time the length of broody behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nuchickontheblock, Aug 20, 2011.

1. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    So I have a broody who has been glazed over in an empty nest box for 5 weeks tomorrow. But she had a hidden nest with 8 eggs in it (probably took her close to 2 weeks to lay that many) when we found it and removed the nest and blocked the area.

So would you consider her broody for 5 weeks or the additional time that she was preparing to set?? Poor thing doesn't seem to be ready to snap out of it. [​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I'm not sure it matters how long she's been broody. It sure sounds like she's been broody a very long time either way you time it. You'll hear lots of suggestions on breaking a broody, but putting her in a cage with a wire bottom that isn't on the ground is best and most humane. That way she can't have heat on her breast and in a few days to a week she'll no longer be broody.

3. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I just broke my broody by simply taking her eggs away each day. She started sitting, collecting and stealing eggs. Each day I would take the eggs and push her out of the nest box, or take her out of the coop altogether. It took about 3 weeks but she's finally over it. This would have been her 3rd hatch in just 6 months.

I have had 3 go broody on me in the past 2 months and I never had to resort to the wire cage thing to break them. I just kept taking the eggs everyday and pushing them off the nest whenever I went out to the coop. Maybe I have easy broodies to break, or maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know, but I would try this for 2 weeks and see if she gives up. If not and she's stubborn, you could try the cage method.

If yours was sitting for 5 weeks and you think it took her 2 weeks to gather the eggs, then I'm thinking that those eggs were ready to hatch?

4. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I tried the ice bath and cage method a while back, but might try the cage again. She is just way out there crazy! I take her off the empty nest about 4 times a day, but she gets to clucking and agitated and keeps trying to get back in the coop. I think we'll do the cage again tomorrow. I feel bad for her because she is the bottom of the pecking order and vision impaired.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by