How do you train Muscovy to go into house for the night?

Muscovy-palooza

Songster
Oct 17, 2018
East Tennessee
We have 10 free range Muscovy that just do not seem to have any natural instinct to get out of the pond/cold!! I will find them standing in the stream water, that feeds into our pond, shivering! We have barns with bales of hay, large, dense boxwood bushes, decks, etc. Plenty of places for them to seek shelter. When our babies were little I had the mama trained to go into the house with her ducklings at night. As the babies got bigger they just started hanging out by the water. Our temps plummeted this week so in preparation I bought a heated waterer and planned to attempt to lure the ducks to the house. I made sure that they were hungry so they followed me and went right in to eat. Captured! I kept them in there for 3 days, until the temps got above freezing. They were content for two days but by the third day when temps were rising they were more than ready to get out of there. I left the door open for them to come and go as they please but they wouldn't stay in. They just want to eat then head back down to the pond. Our only female that lays makes her nests in inaccessible places like in the barn loft 5 bales high! I am hoping that she will get comfortable enough in the duck house to make her nest there. I put a couple of fake eggs out there for her to see. Am I fighting a losing battle or should I continue trying to lure them to follow the food? Also, we have two males and 8 females. Should we house then all under the same roof? Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Olivekat07

Songster
Dec 10, 2017
Tennessee
Have you tried putting them into the roost at night? If you haven’t, that would be a good routine for them to get into. If you do start putting them into the roost, that should make them get up in the coop.

Muscovy-palooza

Songster
Oct 17, 2018
East Tennessee
Have you tried putting them into the roost at night? If you haven’t, that would be a good routine for them to get into. If you do start putting them into the roost, that should make them get up in the coop.
They used to go in at night but then when mama wanted to lay more eggs, she didn't lay them in there but rather in our barn away from the other ducks.
I am working on trying to get them in there nightly but it has been hit or miss. Tonight it was a hit :)

Muscovy-palooza

Songster
Oct 17, 2018
East Tennessee
20190131_142605.jpg
Here is a pic of our babies content and warm in their house. It was a chicken house and we have not made any modifications. I'm not sure if the nesting boxes are too small for them to lay. Do you have any ideas?

thumper650

Crowing
Mar 10, 2018
Maynard, MA
That pic is awesome, a real Myscovypaloza!
I get mine by chanting and clapping "night night ducks", an idea from another BYC member. It usually works because I started doing it with mealworms as a treat when they got inside.

Muscovy-palooza

Songster
Oct 17, 2018
East Tennessee
That pic is awesome, a real Myscovypaloza!
I get mine by chanting and clapping "night night ducks", an idea from another BYC member. It usually works because I started doing it with mealworms as a treat when they got inside.
Lol! Not quite like it was before we reduced the flock by 9 males! Whew! It was pretty crazy around here once their hormones kicked in especially! Now it's once again peaceful and pleasant, for the most part. I'm sure things may change but I'm hoping for the best.
We have never given our ducks meal worms but may try that as a treat, thank you for the suggestion. They absolutely love sunflower seeds and consider those a special treat. We don't clip our ducks wings so they definitely have to have a good incentive to come as they can be very tricky to catch. I'm sure the neighbors are well entertained if they happen to witness us in pursuit of one of the slippery stinkers. Thanks again.

Going Quackers

Crowing
8 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
View attachment 1661621
Here is a pic of our babies content and warm in their house. It was a chicken house and we have not made any modifications. I'm not sure if the nesting boxes are too small for them to lay. Do you have any ideas?
Love your tree branch perches! I am gonna be brutally honest, i find Muscovy awful at going in, i have owned dozens.. the only time they willingly came in was when they had nests or babies... after that? especially if the weather was good fat chance lol.

Try food.. they love food, total piggies...

Mine have housing, but i do not put them in.. they choose to either go in or not... unless it's beyond awful they just lay about on the ground, all nestled in with their heads into their wings... my females when i had them roosted up.

Top Bottom