How do you trim nails for showing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mycutekitties, Jul 6, 2011.

1. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Fair is in 2 weeks and I need to trim some nails. My pullet has VERY long toe nails. What do I use? How long do they need to be?

2. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    I just use regular fingernail clippers and then if there are any jagged edges I will file them down with an emory board. Just like our own nails. [​IMG]

3. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Trim them about a week before the fair using fingernail trimmers or regular dog trimmers.

Look for the quick. It will be a pink area at the base of the nail. Trim as close to the quick as possible, but be careful not to quick them. They will bleed, but not to death. Just have some cornstarch or stiptic powder ready. The nails should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long depending on the size of the bird.

If you trim them between now and a week before the fair the rough edges should be nice and smooth naturally without needing to file them.

Don't forget about those beaks and spurs. Spurs just need the sharp tip trimmed off for the safety of you and the judge.

To trim long beaks just trim the top half of the beak so that it is the same length as the bottom half. The bottom half does not need trimmed.

4. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    BY far, the easiest way is to get one of those "Pedi-paws" pet nail filer. Petco probably has them. They are like a little dremel tool, and you don't have to worry about cutting to far, and they shape the nail nicely too!!

5. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    I've never thought of using those pedipaws things.

My nail trimmer have a guard on them, so I can't cut to far.

6. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    They work awesome! Nails and spurs!

7. Sumatra503

Sep 24, 2010
    What about beaks? I bet it would work well.

Mostly my birds don't need the nail or beak trimming since they scratch in the dirt, but they always need the spur trimming.

8. Diamante

Diamante Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    I bought a manicure nail drill at the grocery store that works great on my chickens beaks. I plan on using it to round off the nails to make them look neater at shows. Can i use that drill for the spurs too? How far can you cut them off? Im clueless when it comes to spurs. Thanks for any help.

9. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Thanks for all the imput!

10. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    I use a high quality dog nail trimmer that I ground the stop off of. It works well on nails and spurs. I use a fingernail trimmer for the beak

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by