How do you turn eggs in incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster brandon., Oct 27, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Do you just let them lean toward the light then let them lean away from the light?Ok what i have is a egg carton tapped to a metal pole and straight across the incubator width ways and you can twist the pole to get it to lean toward the light and twist it backwards to get it to lean away from the light........... basically would it work if you just let it lean to the left then lean to the right? and do i just turn them three times a day what do i do with them a night do i just leave them faced one way?

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    rooster brandon. :

Do you just let them lean toward the light then let them lean away from the light?Ok what i have is a egg carton tapped to a metal pole and straight across the incubator width ways and you can twist the pole to get it to lean toward the light and twist it backwards to get it to lean away from the light........... basically would it work if you just let it lean to the left then lean to the right? and do i just turn them three times a day what do i do with them a night do i just leave them faced one way?

I personally turn them myself, but then again, I am home most of the time and able to do this three times a day.
    When you say turn towards the light..I assume you have a home made bator?
    Maybe someone that uses egg cartons can tell you about this. My bator doesn't have a light.​

3. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    rooster brandon. :

My bator have not a light either, I never use that, sorry...​

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    basically would it work if you just let it lean to the left then lean to the right? and do i just turn them three times a day what do i do with them a night do i just leave them faced one way?

Yes you would lean right then left.

Make sure you have an even temp in there too and that your humidity is where it needs to be. Those are two of the most important things.

When I had to hand turn my husband made a sheet up showing, time turned, humidity, temp and who had done the turning since he had helped me.

Three times a day is good, 5 is better. If you do three, turn every 8 hours as an example. Then you have night time taken care of.

5. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    I have a turner in one bator and the other was an emergency deal so I did not have time to get a turner so what I did was use the egg carton. I prop the narrow side up then reverse the tilt 3 time a day. I am proping them close to the same angle as my turner in the first bator so far it seems to work well. I just would prefer not to open the bator as often.

6. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:What do you mean when you say you prop the narrow side up? The egg carton? You probably know that the narrow end of the egg goes in down. Don't want to sound like little miss bossy, like one of my hens..just wanted to make sure.. [​IMG]

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I didn't realize there was any finess to turning. I guess I figure the momma chicken doesn't really pay attention when she turns them.

I put a little X in the middle of the eggs. That way, I know if I have turned them all pretty much the same. I usually turn them a little more that a quarter of a turn at least three times a day. DH turns them 'end over end' each time he turns. We've had good hatches who ever turns and how they turn.

8. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Same here, X on one side...O on the other, and I do turn mine three times a day. I don't make it a perfect so many hrs. apart, I just do it morning, afternoon, and night before bed. Seems to be working just fine. [​IMG]
    Saturday...can't wait...lockdown is fun for some reason..maybe because it's then I can start seeing them move the egg on their own when I peek in at times with the flashlight. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by