How do you turn the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Maryallison, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Ok...I have been told 2 different ways to turn the eggs.... Do you turn end over end or just roll on the side? Just put in my 1st hatch ever!!!!

THANKS [​IMG]

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i have alto turners in my bators now, but before i got them i put my eggs in cardboard cartons with the tops cut off and a dime size hole cut in each egg slot and just tilted the cartons to 30 deg each way when it came time to turn them. william

3. l'uccello

l'uccello Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    S.F. Bay Area
    I don't think it could possibly make a difference, but I've never heard of anyone turning them end over end. We've never hatched a large number, so we just set them in a carton with each egg tilted 45deg, then just turn them to the opposite 45deg position.

4. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

I have always turned mine end over end--I read this in some directions for incubating---I don't think it really matters as long as they get moved some. Good luck [​IMG]

5. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I'm using the egg carton method, and this is how I turn mine.....

[​IMG]

....with pointy end down! [​IMG]

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    wow that is so cute!! you must be a computer wiz. I personally hate to turn the eggs I like a machine to do it for me. [​IMG]

7. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    [​IMG] Graphic Designer [​IMG]

I made it because I wanted to know if I was turning my eggs right too lol. I made it really quickly so dont mind it, its just simple lol.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  8. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    awesome is that what you do for a living ? or is that something you do as a hobby? you do good work! anyways that is exactly how you should turn your eggs, so you are off to a great start!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  9. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    LoL thanks, I do it for both!

Oh no, I just heard a big crash. The first thing I just thought of was incubator + entertainment center = disaster! I'm scared to even look. [​IMG]

10. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Thanks LilDucky85! [​IMG] You know....I guess long as I move them they are ok. Looks like different people move them different ways. I am sure once I am a experienced hatched I will figure the best way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by