How do you un-broody a hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Maybe a poor way to say it.. but I have a very young hen(pullet) who had just started laying eggs within the last few weeks. She has resently gone broody. No eggs under her though.She is a cross between a white Leghorn and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. She refuses to come off of the nest(don't even see her come out to eat). I have gotten her out of the nesting box twice,and she was all puffed up and doing that low clucking sound I mother does when sitting on eggs. She goes right back in the box.I would let her hatch an egg or 2, but it is a bad time of year. It's very cold and the snow is coming(we've got a bit, but there is much more to come). The coop isn't heated. My question is... how do I get her out of this broody mode or is it impossible(unless I let her hatch an egg or 2)? Any advice? I can't seperate her from the flock. I have no where to put her. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    If you do a search for "broody" in the topic line, you'll get a whole list of threads dealing with broody hens.
    This one is a good one...
    *edited because it wasn't the right one...*

Good luck... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  3. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

If you do a search for "broody" in the topic line, you'll get a whole list of threads dealing with broody hens.
    This one is a good one...
    *edited because it wasn't the right one...*

Good luck... [​IMG]

Thanks for that link. I'm not sure if I want to grab her by the feet and dunk her in water...but it seems like it may be the only way. Seems it had worked for others.(I'd have to get my hubby to do it, I'm too soft hearted). Thanks again.​

4. pgras123

pgras123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Greenfield Indiana
    I had same problem a month ago and all the people on this web site totally helped me. Get a wire cage and put her in it with just a little food and water - nothing else. They said 4 days - I left her in it a week - you could tell by the 4th or 5th day that she was no longer broody. I got my wire cage at a farm store. Good luck

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi , yes i use a "broody cage" with wire mesh floor. An old cocky cage will do and you just make a big door.
    I put her in there for 3 days with water/food and have the cage sitting on bricks so the air gets under her. Never fails!

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] I don't think I could do the water-dunk either. [​IMG] I have a separate kennel for broodies, and put them on newspaper with food and water. Nothing for them to nest in. Very uncomfortable, but they still seem to stick it out for 2-3 days before crying Uncle! [​IMG]

7. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

I do the same, I have a small pen away from the coop and put the hen in there with a little food and water for a week.
    I have had up to 3 hens in there at once!!![​IMG]

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yup. You make a (as Lauralou calls it) "Broody Jail".
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by