How do you use Fenbendazole with chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gardenak, Jul 23, 2010.

1. gardenak

gardenak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    I read a rather lengthy post on the pros & cons of various wormers. I haven't seen any worms in the girls, but it has been a wet summer and they spend a lot of itme free ranging. Since I have so few hens, I really don't want to scrap the eggs for 2 weeks and thought I'd try Fenbendazole (SAFEGuard). Randall Burkey carries it- it says it's for cattle, so how would I know how much and how often to give it to 7 chickens?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I bought some Corid at TSC, and it was for bovine, and there was a number on the package and I called and got the doseage. Maybe there's a number on the bottle. Or you could ask Randal Burkey...someone there might know.

I'm gonna watch this thread because I want to use that kind as well. I hate the idea of wasting eggs......

3. gardenak

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    I called RB- the gal read the instructions: "Mix one bag in enough feed to supply 100 5lb birds" O.K., I have 7- so how much would I use? ? ? Not much help there!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Safeguard (fenbendazole) equine wormer is a paste that comes in a yellow in color box, is inexpensive compared to ivermectin and valbazen. Dosage for your chickens is a "pea" size amount for each chicken. It's best to put it on a small piece of bread and give a piece to each chicken. You'll still have to discard eggs for 2 weeks, just like the other wormers. I've never used the liquid nor the powdered kind, I cant help you there.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  5. gardenak

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    This stuff comes in a bag, they are alfalfa based pellets. I've sent an email to the company, located in the Netherlands to ask them how much for 7 chickens. We'll what response I get.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They'll tell you that you're mistaken, that it's not for chickens...that's if you get a response at all.

7. gardenak

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    I suppose I can just use 14.29 of the bag- if the entire bag is good for 100 chickens, and 7 goes into 100 14.285 times, then it should be fine in a full bowl of food? ? ?

8. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Hi gardenak,
    How did it go with worming your 7 chickens?I have the same situation, but with only 2 of my flock. I'd like to know how your Safeguard treatment worked. I've been trying Iovec -Ivermectin- twice, and no improvement, but not any worse.
    I have the liquid Safe-guard for goats that Tractor Supply sells.

Let us all know how it goes, and if they're improving, okay?

9. MaryKreindel

MaryKreindel Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    I hear whip worm is pretty tenacious and since I have no idea how long the girls have had it do I need to reposition the coop, ie is the earth infested with their eggs? I use a deep composting method and can only imagine the worst now. ickie

10. Betsy57

Betsy57 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Murphysboro IL USA
    I took some ground beef and made little "meatballs" with the worming pellets in it and they ate it up. Each hen probably got about 5 pellets each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by