How do you use the "print screen" Button

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by call ducks, Jul 6, 2010.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    I can not figure out how to use the print screen button, it just does not work for me

2. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    The only way I know is to hit the print screen on the "screen" that you want to print. Open up Word or comparable and hit the paste button. Then print from there.

3. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    When you want to print screen, hit the "print screen" button on your keyboard (usually in the upper right hand corner). Then, when you want to transfer it to another place, such as an e-mail, etc., right click your mouse and click "paste". That should do it. Not sure if this works the same for MAcs or not, but that is what works on PCs. Hope that helps.

4. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:wish it was that simple, i hit that button 5-10 times, go to paint and press "paste" and (i had a cilp art thing, from before that i copied) and that shows up.... sigh not a thing is easy for me [​IMG]

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    After you click it, you go to a program on your computer like Paint, or another one like Photoshop or Gimp or Paintshop, and you click in the working area of it with your mouse and you either do a 'Ctrl' v to paste it into that program's work area, or use the top bar to do it. Paste that 'invisible' screenshot into whatever program you usually use to view and print pictures etc.

That part is just not intuitive.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    You need to hold down either alt or fn with it, depending on your computer, and then have another program to paste into- what it does is make a .jpg of whatever you monitor looks like right that second.

I just open paint or word to paste into.

Click once in the blank page of Word & hit ctrl+V, or if using paint, just hit ctrl+v. That should paste the image, and then you can save or actually print it.

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
  8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    The Print Screen key is used for taking screenshots. It does not send what you are looking at to your printer, but rather makes a copy of whatever is showing on your computer screen or in a window (such as a web browser window).

Windows Print Screen Steps (Capture Everything Screenshot)

1. Locate and maximize the elements you'd like to capture on screen.
    2. To capture the entire screen, just press Print Scrn. Nothing visual will indicate that you have sucessfully captured a screenshot until step 4 below.
    3. Open a new document in MS Word, MS Photo Editor, or Adobe PhotoShop.*
    4. Paste by holding down CTRL and V at the same time or by choosing Edit --> Paste from the menu at the top of the screen.
    5. Save the screenshot as whatever you would like by going to File --> Save.

Windows Print Screen Steps (to Only Capture Selected Windows Screenshot)

1. Locate and maximize the window you'd like to capture.
    2. To copy/capture the current window, hold down ALT + Print Scrn at the same time. Nothing visual will indicate that you have sucessfully captured a screenshot until step 4 below.
    3. Open a new document in MS Word, MS Photo Editor, or Adobe PhotoShop.*
    4. Paste by holding down CTRL and V at the same time or by choosing Edit --> Paste from the menu at the top of the screen.
    5. Save the screenshot as whatever you would like by going to File --> Save.

*I think MS Paint will work, too, but I don't use Windows at home so you'll have to try it and see if it works.

If you want to actually print a website page, you would go to File --> Print in your web browser.​

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Did you get it to work?

10. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Quote:wish it was that simple, i hit that button 5-10 times, go to paint and press "paste" and (i had a cilp art thing, from before that i copied) and that shows up.... sigh not a thing is easy for me [​IMG]

I tried it and it worked fine for me. I am sorry you are having trouble. wish i knew how to help. i work on our website and it gets so frustrating when you want something done and it just doesn't work out like you want.

Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by