how do you use yours..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken_noob, Jul 5, 2011.

1. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    I was wondering how some people use your tractors. Do you use it for a portable run or a perma coop/run that's portable. I was thinking of making a small one so I can bring out my babies and get them use to going outside.."free ranging".. brooder to brooder/tractor..then to a 3x8 lil coop/run then to their own pen/free range. Just looking how to make the transition from brooder to being outside...so I can refill the brooder [​IMG]

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    This is how I use my tractor:

[​IMG]

3. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Haha..that's the tractor id like, but till I can afford on ill stick with the chicken tractor.

4. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Hehe cute! Nice rig!

Now, I use my arc (I like the word better than tractor) as a daily place to range. I have too much in the yard for free ranging, but I move my arc to a new spot daily. My arc is 4x8 and very portable, I drag it around. It's simple and light. I will add a small nesting box in the top when they start laying and enclose the sides with light plywood over 1/3 of it come fall as well. Otherwise the name of the game is light. I need to move it by myself twice a day. Pics on my blog.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by