how do you "vent sex"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hypnofrogstevie, Jan 3, 2008.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I wonder how do you do it since thats what hatcheries do?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It's very difficult, apparently. Most vent sexer's are from the orient as it is taught there like a tradition passed down. Accurate vent sexing is tricky and they are well paid for their work. They can process through thousands of chicks in a day.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've been told that it's a job not to be attempted by us novices.....I've never been tempted to even try it. I'll just wait for the other tell-tale signs.

4. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Yeah with my luck I will end up with more roo's then girls lol. Thanks peeps. I will wait till they get bigger

5. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    bookmarked! Thank you [​IMG]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I've also heard that vent sexed chicks are more prone to prolapse (males and females). So add in the novice hand and I would imagine there would be increased risk. Just something to think about.

Jody

7. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I need to find someone who has done this a billion times. I dont trust agway cause its a bunch of teenagers there. oh well I got a bunch of fluffies to hold for a few months till I hear something

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That has always been my fear....that I'd get more coming out than was supposed to!! [​IMG]

9. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    Didn't they do an episode on "Dirtiest Jobs" and they were SQUEEZING the little chickies and they could tell the sex by how much poop came out or something like that. Did anyone see that episode?

Jayare

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by