How do you wash your eggs right before you use them?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by itlog, Jan 8, 2014.

1. itlog

itlog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Zone 5, Midwest
    My chickens just started laying eggs. They are coming out very clean and I simply store them in the fridge unwashed. I don't want to remove the protective bloom.

I would like to wash right before using the egg. I was wondering how most of you wash your eggs right before cooking the egg. Rinsing them in hot water won't get rid of any bacteria so do you use soap?

I would imagine that when cracking the egg invisible bacteria could contaminate inside the egg or your hands touching the shell would later contaminate egg while cracking it.

Yes maybe I have over thought this...So what do you do?

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Honestly unless it is dirty with mud or poop we don't wash the eggs before eating them. Have had no issues with it at all.

3. KyleG

KyleG The Champ Himself

Dec 26, 2013
    Massachusettes
    we always wash with super hot water and scrub all the spots off. I read that the hot water closes the pores in the egg and blocks any bacteria from getting through the shell. :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't routinely wash. Been doing this for 20 years and no problems. Even during chemo, with literally NO immune system I had no issues with getting anything from my eggs. Some bacteria exposure is needed to keep your immune system functioning!

I do have one hen who poops on her egg, every blessed time. I just hand wash under running warm/hot water.

5. itlog

itlog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013
    Zone 5, Midwest
    Thanks for info. I am learning a lot from having chickens and about how overly clean we all are. I am gonna NOT wash eggs unless completely nasty, but with three bantams don't see how that can really happen. Keeping the bloom on will keep them fresher longer and allows mother nature to do its job of keeping bacteria out. I may just wash in hot water right before crackin them open- thanks :) and keep relies coming.

6. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    Same here. If the eggs are clean, I don't wash them. I've stored eggs on my counter top for up to 3 weeks without washing or refrigeration and they were still great.

If I get an egg with poop on it, I wash it in warm water, dry it and stick it in the refrigerator.

7. countrydream7

countrydream7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2013
    this is good to know, I also heard if your eggs have poop on them means chicks need to be wormed now how do you do this? if they come out clean don't worm them..first time with black jersey giant chicks they are 2 weeks old so cute..

8. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    I've never heard of that, countrydream7 and have never had to worm my birds so I can't answer that question. They do get DE in their feed and that, along with a clean coop, should deter any worms. If mine have poop on them it's because someone pooped in the nest or didn't wipe their feet before entering the nest. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by