How Do You Worm Your Flock?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by pips&peeps, Dec 18, 2009.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I need to worm my ducks and geese, however, I am unsure of how to do a general worm for them without overdosing. I have too many to individually worm them like detailed in Holderreads book, so I am seeking information from others who have large flocks.

Thanks,

ETA: I have injectible ivermectin, a small amount of valbazen and wazine (pipperazine) available.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. feathersandfluff

feathersandfluff Chillin' With My Peeps

The feed store recommanded Wazine for my geese. I have used it with good results. I mixed it with water acording to directions on the bottle and took all my other water away from the geese for most of a day. I did this a second time a couple of months later. Dorothy

3. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    we do everyone one by one.....takes FOREVER!!! We also give a squirt of adams flea and tick spray while we are at it.

4. Golden Valley Farm

Golden Valley Farm Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    I switch off between Injectable Ivermectin and Panacure wormer. For geese , chickens, ducks, turkeys. If I worm individually I inject under the skin with one quarter cc of Ivermectin.

5. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Problem with Wazine is that it has a limited range of parasites that it kills. I only worm a couple times a year, once being before breeding season in late winter (ie now). Please remember to rotate your wormers to prevent additional parasites from gaining resistance to particular wormers- this rotation was ivermectin for me and the rest of the geese are getting their dose tomorrow. I didn't have a goose-specific dose so I slightly upped the dose per lb I had for chickens and normally give about 8 drops orally.

I purchased a pair of Sebastopol from you this spring, Jean, and the goose has laid four eggs already this year (all within the past week).

6. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I used the liquid Safe Guard (fenbendazole)this year for the 1st time. Safe Guard or Panacur will get the gizzard worms and gape(throat) worms. Use 3cc per gal. of water for 3 days and then 10 to 14 days later to get the one that hatched from eggs.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  7. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
  8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I used the liquid Safe Guard (fenbendazole)this year for the 1st time. Safe Guard or Panacur will get the gizzard worms and gape(throat) worms. Use 3cc per gal. of water for 3 days and then 10 to 14 days later to get the one that hatched from eggs.

I think I will use this method unless someone wants to volunteer to come over and help me catch 16 geese and 6 ducks in this muddy mess we have right now....... [​IMG]

9. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:The Ashtons are in the UK so a lot of the names are different than to what we have available in the states.

10. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    I like to deworm anything spring and fall but I don't seem to get to it most the time.
    Theres a link on my link page to a website that has directions on using Ivermectin.
    You can use the topical application of Ivermectin, "Eprinex' which makes it easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by