1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do you????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by evonne, Oct 19, 2009.

1. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    how do you get anything built when you have to constantly check here for updated threads?? rofl

i need to go finish my little house i'm making for my banties, but i keep checking for new threads/posts and have been inside for an hour.. lol....

serious question though... this is really just a little house for them to get out of the elements.. i wouldn't call it a coop... it isn't even as tall as my knee... i can't get into it.. i'm going to make the top either open on hinges or just lift off... their banties.. except for isabella.. but i think i made the door big enough for her to get through.. lol...

anyway... i want to put a little "roost" in there for them to sleep on, how much clearance do the need from the roof?? i wasn't thinking about a roost when i designed it.. just a little house to get out of the cold... so the roof has a pretty steep pitch... i'm hoping i can get a roost of some sort in there... how high does it need to be off the ground?? i know they like to roost high, but if it's the highest thing in the house will it turn into the roost?

okay.. going back out to work on the sides.. lol...

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

If your little house is only as high as your knee, I would just split the difference. Our little bantams have a little house on stilts with a wire floor. The lowest roost in it is only about 8 inches off the floor and the next roost up is about 18 inches off the floor and the sleep on both.

3. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    awsome... thanks...

so your floor is wire mesh?? i was wondering about that... i had the little hutch i made with mesh floor, and i was thinking of just setting this little building down right on top of that floor... but then i see a lot of stuff that says wood floors and only want airflow when you don't want them broody??... and i was thinking if i want them out of the elements.. but at the same time, if i wood the floor the only circulation is from the little 8" high door... ??

lol.. can you tell i have no clue what i'm doing??

as long as it works in the end right??

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, we are all here to help each other out. I see you live in Lost Wages but I know it gets cold there sometimes. My sister lives in Henderson. Here in Florida it doesn't get that cold so we don't worry too much about winterizing. You could certainly put the one on top of the other and if it were to be cold you could just put down a layer of cardboard until the cold passed.
    A lot of what we all do is trial and error. But you always hope for more trial and less error.

5. evonne

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i found a pallet at the back of our property, and the house was actually made to the dimensions of the pallet.. becasue i was originally going to put it on that, but then thought how am i going to attach it.. so decided i'd attach it to the base of the hutch i had taken the top off of.. then i decided i wasn't going to attach it at all.. and now that you mention it i can pop that pallet onto the mesh base so it's up off the ground them plop the house down on top of that... and then when it starts to warm up again i can take the pallet out from under and give them the mesh floor back...

does your sis out here have chickens?? lol...
    i just started exchanging emails with another BYC member that lisves out here,and i'm gonna get him some of my eggs to hatch...
    what part of florida are you in?? i have family up in ft walton

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by