How do YOUR chickens greet you in the morning ?

ladychicken&Ducklover

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Champion, Michigan
I have 6 laying hens , 4 Belong to my WC Black Polish Roo ,1 belongs to my Salmon Favorelle Roo, and 2 grew up with my 3 ducks, so they belong to their Drake.

Every morning the polish starts crowing, wanting the SF Roo to " check in " with him to let him know that all is Well in their coops.

Then the drake starts his quacking to join in.

I go out and open all their doors, go back inside and fix them their breakfast.

If I take too long ,( God forbid ), the Polish Roo ( Phillip ) seems to purposely " send " his " chosen hen ", Sassy ,( white leghorn ) Over the fence, she then jumps up on the deck , casually walks over to the back door , and proceeds to Peck on the glass while Everyone else stands staring at me in the house .!

It's as if to say ," Sassy , you know the routine , go over the fence and we ALL know that once she sees you are out, she will Speed up making breakfast so she can run thru the house with our HOT oatmeal with dried mealworms, trip and stub her toe on the recliner, just to get you back in "...

Then it's Chow down time !!!

Anyway, let's hear other funny stories about your chickens greeting you in the morning.

ladychicken&Ducklover :

I have 6 laying hens , 4 Belong to my WC Black Polish Roo ,1 belongs to my Salmon Favorelle Roo, and 2 grew up with my 3 ducks, so they belong to their Drake.

Every morning the polish starts crowing, wanting the SF Roo to " check in " with him to let him know that all is Well in their coops.

Then the drake starts his quacking to join in.

I go out and open all their doors, go back inside and fix them their breakfast.

If I take too long ,( God forbid ), the Polish Roo ( Phillip ) seems to purposely " send " his " chosen hen ", Sassy ,( white leghorn ) Over the fence, she then jumps up on the deck , casually walks over to the back door , and proceeds to Peck on the glass while Everyone else stands staring at me in the house .!

It's as if to say ," Sassy , you know the routine , go over the fence and we ALL know that once she sees you are out, she will Speed up making breakfast so she can run thru the house with our HOT oatmeal with dried mealworms, trip and stub her toe on the recliner, just to get you back in "...
Then it's Chow down time !!!

Anyway, let's hear other funny stories about your chickens greeting you in the morning.

Not sure this applies, but I just got in from work, went out to check for eggs, & discovered that the roost bar had fallen. Went into the run, forgetting to lower the pop-door,(to allow access to the upstairs), go back out, careful not to let anyone out, lower the pop-door, go back in, raise the ramp,(ditto, to allow access), open the door, & fix the roost bar...all with four nervous nellies jumping around my feet. Then, I attempted to close the door, which, of course is now getting stuck on the pop-door draw-string-cord and the Christmas lights cord. While wrassling with that, two of the girls decide to hurl themselves at the run door and let themselves out. I step out, chase them around like a crazy person, finally getting them back in, (on the eighth attempt), and shout in triumph(!), and then I realise I haven't raised the pop-door yet. So, I raise the pop-door and lock them all up. But what about the ramp? Heavy sigh. Step back inside, watching that no one else escapes, replace the ramp, & step back outside, locking up...once again.

And that is how I get greeted when I come home from work. Oh, and did I mention....there weren't any eggs.

mm​

Last edited:
bawk bawk bawk bawk BUGWAK!!!! at the fence and run in circles(hens)
COCKADOODLEDOO BUGAWK!! COCKADOODLE DOO!! puffing out his chest watching the food bowl exitedly(roo)

When I get home from school- I let them out and they all come FLYING at me, and some land on me. Others stand on my feet cooing
smile.png
. Then they follow me wherever I go
big_smile.png
!

As soon as the chickens see me, they go CRAZY! I normally hear loud excited squaking, as I look though the window in the coop they are flying all over the place. Then I open the door and the hens come rushing out to the bins with the feeder and drinker in it, they realise they need me to lift the bins off so they rush towards me and stalk me until I give them acess to the food and drink. After the hens finish their breakfast, the Roo does his stuff which his mostly dancing around the girls. So its chaos every morning! Thing is, once I let the chickens out its hard to leave them..

Well, they don't on week days, as I leave for work before dawn. The five who insist on roosting on the porch railing (instead of in the coop with everybody else) cluck at me. One of those two roosters has already started the rooster chorus, though.

I get home after dark and wake 'em up by turning on the coop light to fill feeders and waterers and to gather eggs. Pandemonium ensues.

On the weekends, their automatic chicken door opens before I get up. A group of them will be on the porch, waiting for me. The rest of the flock will come running from the yard to rush me, bawking and clucking.

The pair of geese honk and join the chickens on the porch. The ducks don't care as they are swimming and that's far more interesting than the Big House Lady coming outside - unless I am carrying something as I exit the front door. That would be shredded cheese, or cut up romaine or a cabbage. In which case they'll jump out of their stock tank and meet me as I head for the Treat Area.

Last edited:
They rush the gate awaiting for me to open the door so they can get to their food & water. The rooster however, crows from anywhere between 3:30am to sunrise
roll.png

They pelt out the pop door like popcorn, and my speckled sussex Freckles ( who's voice by the way sounds like a rusty saw) stalks around squawking until she is hand-fed her morning scratch.

I'll open the door and 2 of my hens, Gloria and Nellie, will race to see who can get to the pen (which has warm, fresh water and a bowl of fresh food in it). Mind you, Nellie is 1 year old and fast, where as Gloria is old and has a sprained foot.... somehow she always wins the race!
big_smile.png

My rooster goes off at 5am saying he is awake and I should be too. I open the door and they all rush onto the back porch and start knocking on the door to try and wake everyone in the house. If I would let them in it would be a swarm lol.

Back
Top Bottom