How do your ducks get in and out of their pool?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Oneacre Homestead, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Hi I am looking for the best way to help my ducks and geese climb in and out of their baby pool. I have piled up some flat rocks, but it sEems slightly unstable and heavy. I want to keep the weight down because the pool is on a wire platform and it is heavy enough. I am wondering if anyone has any ingenious solution that has worked for them. Thanks!!

2. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    My two ducks slide there bodies over the edge and use there feet to get themselves into there kiddie pool....when they were little i had to pick them up and put them in...and sometimes if i get to close and they get nervous they get into the pool quite fast..lol...i can swear that just the other day when my female was getting into the pool the male was beside her and he pushed her down and stepped on top of her to get into the pool first..lol..i was cracking up..my boyfriend said maybe that is how he is getting in because he is bigger n fatter then the female...lol.. as soon as i let them out in the morning she goes right over n jumps right in and he waddles around the pool like "hello,u didnt help me in"..lol...they r so entertaining...

btw..i even tried to use a car ramp and they wouldnt go near it..so im thinking just let nature do it thing...they learn fast....

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I built steps for the pond. Inside is half a concrete block and then a milk crate upside down with a paver on top of it
    [​IMG]

When they had a big kiddie pool, they used the steps of the pool (they had the one with the slide) and then I had a paver and cement block as steps on the outside to the slide portion to get in.

4. GordieH

GordieH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    I used to put them in and take them out as I had a 12' by 1.5' pool for my ducks. Now I have a pile of hardwood mulch by the pool and let them decide when to get in and out. They are loving it. Will have to make other arrangements when I use the mulch in the garden. [​IMG]

5. greenacresinNE

greenacresinNE Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Papillion, NE
    We made a ramp out of a spare piece of board that we used to build a goat run-in shelter. Dh built it up with concrete pavers underneath for stability -- they use it like a diving board!
    [​IMG]

6. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

either my cayugas hop right in or they use there hard wide wooden bord to go up.

7. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    My husband made a ramp for the adults and we just used several pieces of leftover lumber, stacked like stairs, for the babies.

(I can't find a picture of the ramp [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

8. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Heres mine ,for those under a week and a half or so,then older then a week [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then... Picture Spam Time !!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I simply remove the black inner ramp one they reach about a month old. Then they just hop out onto the ramp.

9. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Sorry for the double post.

Also if you use a smooth wood ramp (e.g : 2x4's or whatnot) make sure you have it covered with a towel ,or add little "ridges" (think old style chicken coop ramp) for them. My muscovies have a hard time getting up the ramp if its just smooth wood ,and they have the bigger claws. I cant see young mallard derived ducks making it unless it has added traction .

10. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Wow everyone thanks for the great responses and photos! I'll post a pic of what I do and thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by