1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do your guys sex 3-5months old white peachicks?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Chrysolophus, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Chrysolophus

Chrysolophus Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2014
    China
    [​IMG]

How do your guys sex 3-5 months old white peachicks? I want to buy 2 male white peas, but I am unable to sex them, they seem similar[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I've only owned peas for a couple years, but as I understand it, it's not possible to definitively sex whites until 2-3 years old when the males begin to grow their trains, except for of course a DNA test.

3. Chrysolophus

Nov 29, 2014
    China
    When the white pea gets 12 month, the male begin to have the train, not like the adult ones, but that's enough for you to tell the males from the females. The little ones are difficult, I try to find some differences.

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I know that this isn't the best advice but seeing the two on the right of the photo you can see one with long tail feathers and one has short tail feathers which could just be age difference or new feathers coming in if it the chicks are the same sex. Another thing that I don't know if it does work for sure is hens have wider, shorter wings and males have long, thin wings. Just some I've heard. 3 ways to sex Whites that I know that work without the need of DNA sexing. Neck feather, shape the tail feathers make and tail coverts or premature train. I don't have pictures to show the neck feathers since my camera won't capture the detail of it. As for tail feather shape it's of different color peafowl.
    [​IMG] See how the premature train webbing of the feather is wispy and not solid? That's an indication of a male. Also the premature train feathers can grow past the tail while tail coverts will never grow longer than the tail

[​IMG] See how it's wispy? This is a premature train feathers from my White male.
    [​IMG] Male tail feathers are tear drop like and each feather hasn't a different length.
    [​IMG] Hens have more circular and the tail feathers keep relatively the same length for the most part.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  5. Chrysolophus

Nov 29, 2014
    China
    Thanks a lot. That's very helpful. I will check it with my blue peas and then to check the white pea for some possible clues

6. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    rule of three "long"!
    Males have ...
    long toes .... long head .... long leggs

7. Chrysolophus

Nov 29, 2014
    China
    That's very true.

8. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    I knew mine were male about a month ago when they tried mating with a young female. [​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by