How Does A Duck Act When It Is Getting Broody?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by littlehenny, May 23, 2010.

1. littlehenny

littlehenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    I have been noticing strange behavior from my duck Tasha. At first I was afraid she was sick, still not sure. Tasha has been hanging out a lot by the nest box, she rest in between it and the door. Also Huey my drake is chasing her and jumping her on the ground. Huey usually jumps his ladies only in the pool. I have 8 ducks and 1 drake together. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but, how do they act if they are getting broody? Oh, I just put 30 eggs in the bator yesterday, would have been nice if one of my girls would do the incubating for me LOL.

2. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    My girls started hanging out in the pen more than usual, staying close to the duck house. They also started to build big ole nests and when they got close to enough eggs laid in the nest they started fluffing themselves up to look huge and acting aggressive when anyone/anything came near them or the duck house. I also noticed they were eating less each day.

Michelle

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Should have added, my gals are Pekins and I was worried they might not sit on the eggs for the full duration so I let them sit on their infertile eggs then snuck Muscovy eggs out of the incubator under them when the 'scovy eggs were about ready to hatch. Once the baby hatched I started removing the "dud" eggs each time I went out to visit. I'm fortunate, my broody gals let me touch them, touch the nest even touch the babies...they won't let my husband near the duck pen though LOL
    You could always mark some of your incubator eggs with a sharpie, then sneak them in the nest when your hen comes out for a drink, unless she'll let you touch the nest, then you don't have to sneak 'em in.
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by