How does a first timer build confidence before processing?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hypnofrogstevie, May 15, 2009.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Next week I am helping a friends friend process chickens. I am kinda nervous about this since its my first time. How do you build up confidence before you do the deed?

2. acheeknmanbestfren

acheeknmanbestfren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    We just went through out first processing a couple weeks ago. The first one was tough as I didn't know how much cutting would be necessary for the hen to bleed out quickly. After that, I would have one bleeding out as I plucked the previous one so when I was finished cleaning the next was ready to scald and start the process over again. Found I didn't "think" about the bird that way [​IMG]

It also helped that I think the Cornish-X are ugly poo factories [​IMG]

3. undermywings

undermywings chicken chaser

Mar 29, 2009
    California high desert
    Mentally brainwash yourself in the days before starting. Detach yourself and think of it as educational, learning and perfecting each step. Keep busy so you don't have lingering thoughts. It is a great idea to help your neighbor. Some people have suggested culling/processing each other's chickens...trade jobs...to make it easier. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009
  4. undermywings

undermywings chicken chaser

Mar 29, 2009
    California high desert
    Quote:Too funny and so true!

5. jonathansenn

jonathansenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    East Dublin, GA
    I always think about how good the meat taste and how well I am feeding my family. Chickens are not that bad cause their small. Large wild game is what got me. Although after a while you get numb and see it for what it really is ... a chore that needs to be done.

6. Big George

Big George Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Just hold the poor birds head in your hand and do it. I use a cone usually hold onto the head till its about done. I have also started to quickly strap legs together, less likely to work itselve out. Yes it is hard the first time, but I have found it lends to some kind of kinship with our past. So since I am not a vegatarian its assuming responcility for this choice. After it is all over I feel a little taller and life seems in perspective. Oh, and don't eat it on the same day. A good rest in icy brine water helps a lot. Good luck

7. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agreed. Settle on a method and be certain how to do it correctly. Also be sure to have the right equipment readily at hand.

I definitely prefer using a cone - this prevents the flapping about. Also be sure to have a SHARP knife. I've used a brand-new box cutter before with excellent results. Fillet knives also work well.

8. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're not just killing them. You're doing it for a purpose. That said, something you absolutely must have is respect for the animal. This creature gave its life for you. I'm not insinuating you say a prayer or anything before you take each one, but just have that respect for them. I think that helps me.

9. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:HA HA they are ugly. We got ours the other day and I was like "man these things are so ugly" so I don't think killing them will be an issue. They look kind of angry all the time.

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Thanks guys [​IMG]. MY friends friend will be using cones and I think he either bought, rent or built his own plucker. They are cornish cross. Hopefully I will get used to this [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by