1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How does a roo keep track?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ridgefire, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Of his flock. Does he count them?

I had the flock out free ranging. I was cleaning their run, when I was done cleaning I took a few hand full of sun flower seeds and threw them in the run, just for a surprise when they were to go back in.

3 of the girls seen me do this and came a running. They were in eating the seeds and where the rest of the flock, they couldnt see them. I noticed my roo picked his head up and scanned the flock and its like he realized he was missing 3. He started running, and searching till he found them.

I guess I never really thought he would keep track of them like that.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Neat - My roo doesn't seem to care THAT much!

3. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Yeah thats what I always thought too. Either that or the 3 eating made a noise saying yummy seeds. Dont know, just really surprised me.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Mine gets all bent out of shape if he is suddenly missing girls, he lets out a string of vocalizations, and starts searching for them.

Sometimes you'd swear he was cursing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by