How does a rooster do it???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yanks26, Jan 15, 2009.

1. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Say for instance I have 1 rooster and 15 hens. Does that rooster have to have sex with each hen every day so that each egg she lays is fertile?

2. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    If you have ever watched a rooster with 15 hens you will see that's it's not that difficult a chore! [​IMG] Mine is with 11 hens and stays busy at the deed all day long![​IMG]

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    no. only every ten to 14 days. the female has a sack that contains the male's deposit.

more than one male can mate a female.

4. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Ok that makes sense. I was just thinking how it mates with every hen every day lol. Thanks for the information!

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    No, hens can remain fertile for a couple weeks from one mating, however for best fertility they should be mated within 4 days after that, fertility decreases. You may have too many hens for one roo, so your fertility may not be that good anyway. depending where you look recommended 6-10 hens/roo. with 15 you may have some hens that are more willing participants, and some that put up a struggle. Like a typical Male, you may find that the ones that dont want to play may get ignored thus lowering your fertility rate.

6. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:I should have answered the question instead of giving a smarty answer but when I read it all I could picture was "Henry" busy at work. I'm glad someone gave you the correct answer. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:well, it doesn't mean he wont try though! [​IMG]

some are more 'amorous' than others.

8. Quote:I should have answered the question instead of giving a smarty answer but when I read it all I could picture was "Henry" busy at work. I'm glad someone gave you the correct answer. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Are you using the [ b]...[/b ] in your posts or is this set this way?
    just curious, no offense of any kind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by