How does broody raised chick drink?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jynuine, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Jynuine

Jynuine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    [​IMG]

So here is our nursery setup- how does baby normally get water? I think the water setup is too tall for her to reach?
    Also, the water is clean it is just vitamin fortified and has some litter in it from mama. :) We change it every day to once every 2 days.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Momma shows the babies where the water is just like she does the food. She's usually overly enthusiastic and will dump it. The chicks need the water dish to only be about 1 inch tall for them to reach it. Too tall and they can drown in it. I'll use something like a jar lid the first few days and you just have to watch it and refill it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree that's not a great waterer for a chick, you're going to either have a chick in the water or a flipped bowl when momma starts scratching around. Try a chick waterer like the plastic base you screw on a mason jar. Set it up on a brick or something to keep the litter out of it, once momma gets to scratching around she'll fling litter everywhere. A newly hatched chick is quite capable of jumping up on a brick to drink.

4. Jynuine

Jynuine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    Gaston, OR
    Awesome- I was thinking of just putting our milk jug waterers that we have for regular chicks in there (hang on the corner) with a nipple and showing the baby where it is in a week or so.... that way we can reduce the amount of wetness in there.

5. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    We got one of the smaller poultry waterers from the feed store. There is about a 1/2 lip on it so they can can reach the water and there is no fear of drowning.

6. YardBird192

YardBird192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2013
    Southeast Georgia
    We have used the incubator for our previous hatches, but we had a hen who went broody so we put five eggs under her and expect something December 11th. She is nesting in the coop about four feet off the floor. I guess I'll learn from trial and error, but I don't want the babies to fall out and get hurt. How do the new mom's act when they hatch? Do they stay with them until they are good and fluffy? I plan to prepare the floor to move them down myself if the hen doesn't attack me. I read other posts about not letting other hens around them. How long would you say...two weeks?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've gotten 3 day old chicks to drink from a horizontal nipple in a pint juice bottle.
    Set it on brick(s) to raise to a good height as the grew.
    Nice and clean and easy peasy.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  8. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    Here is something interesting I tried with my last hatch. I started giving water to my chicks with a syringe as soon as they hatched. A couple of them were very weak because they were malpositioned in the egg. I wanted to make sure they were all drinking. I gave them a small watering dish, but I also fed them with the syringe several times a day. They LOVED drinking the drops from the syringe. When they saw it coming they would all run over to greet me. Now that they are a month old they are super friendly. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that they think I'm the momma because I was feeding them water with a plastic "beak".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by