1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How does deep litter method work in sub-freezing temps?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AKnewbie, Nov 29, 2012.

1. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    We have wood shavings as bedding in the coop and we are attempting to use DLM. However, with sub-freezing temps, the poop just isn't decomposing and is just freezing. In this case, am I better off just scooping out the poop everyday? Or is there another way?

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Best way is to have poop boards below your perches to catch most of the night waste.

3. AKnewbie

Jun 30, 2012
    I do have a poop board underneath the roosts. However, because of the shorter days and cold weather, they don't get out of their coop until later in the day. Therefore, some poop ends up in the bedding anyway.

4. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Toss some scratch or cracked corn under the roost every morning, and the chickens will mix the poop into the bedding and it will decompose better. I only clean my coop out once a year, All winter I just add some shavings as needed.

1 person likes this.
  5. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

How deep is your litter? We are at -20C and things are as they should be, it gets messy but just keep adding more litter. Wish I kept more leaves in the fall

6. AKnewbie

Jun 30, 2012
    About 4inches. You're right. I should probably increase it. At -20C, what is your inside coop temperature?

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Deep litter requires a lot more bedding to help absorb and release moisture - think more like 12-15". Once weekly I take a fork and toss the bedding around, also give the birds a little scratch in there daily to encourage them to toss it around too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by