How does everyone add water to the Brinsea Octagon Eco 20?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, Jul 19, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have my first hatch in the Brinsea (which I love), but I had to add water last night. Not easy! I am thinking maybe I should take the whole tray out to do it next time? If I get water on the eggs, I'm assuming that's bad otherwise, right?

Would love to hear from those of you who have this incubator and how you add water TIA!

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I don't have this incubator, but getting water on the eggs isn't that terrible. At worst, it will create a little larger air cell by hatch time if you do it everyday.

The way I add water to my hovabator is through the vent holes with a syringe (but you can use a straw and funnel. or a funnel between your eggs for that matter if you open the top). If I want to increase the humidity, I can add a paper towel draped over the side with a corner outside the incubator. I can then wet the corner of the paper towel and it soaks the entire towel, which adds humidity without ever opening the bator.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I put the water in when I pull the tray to candle them [​IMG]

4. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I have this incubator..I use a piece of aquarium tubing and a large syringe to add the water through the vent hole on top..a very long straw (the kind you get with an Icee/slurpee will work too). I have added when I candle also.

5. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:I bought a french catheter and 12 cc syringe from my vet (heck, he already thinks I'm nuts, so why not?). It's one of the orange rubber catheters vets use. It works well, but the only drawback is I could only get the water on one side of the 'bator. I just had 13 chicks hatch a week ago.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    no disrespect to others intended but opening up the bator isnt' a death sentence IMO, just seems like you guys take an easy bator and make it more work [​IMG] . I candle every 4 days or so because an exploded egg will ruin an entire hatch so I use that as an opportunity to add water. Pretty simple [​IMG] and I have decent hatch rates with my eggs (shipped eggs are another story but that's with any bator)

7. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you all for the resonses!!!

So, by candling you can tell if an egg is going to explode? How can you tell?? Thanks!

8. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Well you can tell which have the potential to explode. If you candle on Day 10, you should be able to see which eggs are 'clears' (ie, just a yolk and egg whites) and which ones have the nice, dark, veiny top side which means they are growing into chicks. Anything that doesn't look like the latter should probably be removed- especially any with a bacterial ring. If you look at the main part of the incubating and hatching eggs forum, you'll see the sticky thread for candling egg pictures.

Here's a nice link for what 'bad' eggs can look like: http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

9. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:So you open the top of the incubator to add water during lockdown? I use the catheter to add water from days 18 to the end of hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by