how does it work or hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BirdBoy88, Dec 31, 2007.

1. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    i'm going to be useing a hot water heater thermastat for my incubator

once you hook it up to the bulb an stuff how do you work it? or instructions come wit it? [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm not sure but the only hot water heaters I was able to find didn't go low enough in temps.

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I got better results from my first homemade bator using a dimmer switch cord. On the second one I couldn't get the hot water heater element to keep temps on the low side it wanted to go to high. I had it as turned all the way to the lowest setting. That's when I bought a real incubator. But I do still use the one I made with the dimmer cord as a hatcher sometimes.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The water heater thermostat has a wide swing so it's hard to tweak the temps properly. I just use a wafer thermostat I bought at a feedstore that has some incubator parts. Works well.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I used a water heater thermostat in mine.
    The range is from 90-150 degrees, after i got it dialed in it keeps temp between 98.8 -100.4 consitantly.

It took several hours to dial it in properly.

6. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    ohhhh so the ones you guys use can you post a pics so i can see what it looks like an get an idea of what to look for cuz this thermastat stuff is madning to me....lol

i have everything i need but my parents got the wrong thermastat so i had to take it back an now i'm not sure what to get

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

Item # 26359 at Lowes [​IMG]

8. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Thanks you've been big help for me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by