How Does McMurray Get Its Chicks?

stoneunhenged

Songster
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
USA
How does a large commercial hatchery like Murray McMurray, Cackle, etc., get their chicks? I assume they contract for local farmers to produce hatching eggs. True? Any idea how much the hatcheries pay per egg?

I don't know sorry. But I can say we ordered 26 baby chicks from them last year. All arrived alive and very healthy. All are still living today except for some due to a dumb dog and snake. If you are wondering if they are good I give them a 10. Just my opinion. Good luck:thumbsup

No most if not all commercial hatcheries breed and hatch their own eggs. They have large incubators and breeding barns where all of their birds are housed.

Quote:
Why? Are you thinking of branching out to Easter Eggers and Production Reds?
big_smile.png

Sorry, it was just very funny to sit here thinking about what on earth you guys would want from Murray McMurray.

I don't want to buy chicks from any of the large hatcheries. I'm just curious about their approach to large-scale hatching egg production. When I read their catalogs and go to their websites, I always see pictures of commercial-scale incubators, but I never see pictures of breeding pens holding chickens. I figured they either don't own the breeder chickens or they choose not to picture them for some other reason. That's the basis of my question.

Last edited:
Quote:
Why? Are you thinking of branching out to Easter Eggers and Production Reds?
big_smile.png

Sorry, it was just very funny to sit here thinking about what on earth you guys would want from Murray McMurray.

There is nothing wrong with hatchery chickens. Why do you think it's funny? Just saying. I really do not understand you people downing hatcheires so much, they are what they are, and for your information, they do contract out for some of their breeds but not all.

I get your questions you are asking.

MyPetChickens do have some contracts like Gabbard to do their rare and common breeds for their egg orders. I do remember them asking me if I would want to be contracted by them for my Silver Spangled Hamburg Bantams and I refused.

McMurray as I know, many years ago, they do have contract for farmers and small breeders to do their egg orders on a given day to be picked up. I think not more than 30 mile raduis for pickups by McMurray. I do not know if they still do it now. Remember the BLRW that they said they bought them from McGorervo stock, well, it was an independent owner that has the flock and being contracted by McMurray for so many eggs.

Estes Hatchery...I do not know but I do know they owned their own Welsummers on their own place. The Welsummers were all bought out from Harry Shaw when he died unexpectually.

Ideal Hatchery has some of their birds in different locations but close by the incubation setup place. They do pick them up.

Meyers have some of their own as well as contracted breeders. Duane Urch may be one of those suppliers for their orders.

Not all breeders are well known, most of them would be backyard breeders that bought alot of the birds in one location. Only very few of the show breeders would be contracted by the hatcheries for their eggs or chicks.

Stromsberg, are the middleman but they do deal with private breeders for SQ chicks but it costs so much more.

Stoneunhenged, your last quote about hatcheries not owning breeders chickens, --------------------->Sandhill, no photos of parent stock.
hide.gif

Hatcheries do have their place whether we like it or not. If it is egg laying we want, and nothing more, they do fit the bill. If I want a colorful basket in a HURRY, you bet I would go to a hatchery like Ideal and get me some EEs and productions to give me instant gradification of a colorful egg basket.

If you are looking for a better looking bird, more of an "ump" in the breed, production second, then breeder's birds are what you would go for.

I don't know about McMurray, but Meyer hatchery has a Youtube video tour of their hatchery.

So does Cackle and Ideal. The Ideal video shows an aerial view of the breeding farm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom