How does my plan sound for Guineas and Silkies?

Shayna

I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Midwest
I have young guineas that are about 9 wks old that will be going into outdoor enclosure. This will be an old shed attached to a newly built run of 32'x8'x8' or so. I have some adult/sub adult silkies that will be going in there too. I am prepared to divide the run and build a little shelter at one end for the chickens if they get picked on by guineas, but I think since I'm introducing them young, with close monitoring, it will be fine.
Now - on to my plan. I'm not home during the day, and my area has quite a lot of predators. I built the run very secure. Next summer, I want to let the guineas free range my property all day with the option to go in and out of the enclosure. The silkies can't fly a bit and would have absolutely no defense. I do not want them free ranging. Next summer, the coop/run ideally would only be for the guineas to sleep safely at night.
If I made a "guinea door" say 4' high on the shed, with a landing board, so the guineas can fly in and out, but the chickens could not, would that work? That's my plan, as I don't think many daytime predators would be trying to fly/climb into a shed door that high up, so the silkies should remain safe.

Thoughts? If anyone else does this, I'd love to see pictures of a setup like that.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That sounds like a great idea! First, you need to make sure the guineas can get up there (enough room in the coop to take off, even though they don't need too much), next, make sure that the silkies CANNOT get up there! I know they can't fly as good as guineas but chickens are a lot more nimble than they are given credit for! Finally, if you could, I think you should make the area below your 4' guinea door tin, or some slick surface. Raccoons can scale walls and so can cats (trust me, coons can come out during the day, and strays show up!) If you make that part of the wall tin than it will prevent any predators from entering your coop even if they really wanted to. Good luck!

I honestly don't think the Guineas could figure that out. I put a two foot fence around my garden and the Guineas (and chickens) never flew over. Well, except for a couple of times accidentally when they were being chased, then they couldn't figure out how to get back out!

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into adding some flashing or something below the door, that's a good idea. I didn't think about anything being able to climb. I did plan to put hay bales around the outside of the shed to kind of help keep it insulated in the winter/block wind, which would make it easier for climbing. I also have a fear that something can get from a tree onto the top of the shed and maybe get on the landing board, then inside the shed. I'll have to think up something to make the guinea door hard to access from the roof. The shed is only about 6' tall. Fortunately, I don't plan to let the guineas free range until spring so I have some time for planning. My silkies can't fly worth anything, so it will be easy to make a door for the guineas to go in and out, but not the chickens. They can't even get on a roost 6" off the ground!

Last edited:
Quote:
Hmm that would surprise me, especially with daylight coming in a window of an otherwise dark shed (no electric) but perhaps I'll need to put a large ramp or something up to it to start with, with the chickens somewhere else. I bet they can be trained..... I'm going to be VERY disappointed otherwise! I really want my guineas to free range, but my chickens would be food for something if they free ranged.

My experiene with Guineys and chickens is that Guineys were too hard on the chickens. I had 3 guineys...or 4 and around 7 chickens of various types...they got along fine when young, then the guineys started picking on the chickens. All were free ranging during the day, but the guineys went out of their ways to run after and torment the chickens. I finally ate the guineys and the roosters also, and now have peace, quiet, and tranquility. Can't say anything about yours...if they start attacking, soup. Your setup sounds fine...just would separate the 2 flocks from the start.
Let us know how they work out!
Cheers,
N. VA

N. Virginia :

My experiene with Guineys and chickens is that Guineys were too hard on the chickens. I had 3 guineys...or 4 and around 7 chickens of various types...they got along fine when young, then the guineys started picking on the chickens. All were free ranging during the day, but the guineys went out of their ways to run after and torment the chickens. I finally ate the guineys and the roosters also, and now have peace, quiet, and tranquility. Can't say anything about yours...if they start attacking, soup. Your setup sounds fine...just would separate the 2 flocks from the start.
Let us know how they work out!
Cheers,
N. VA

Thanks for the advice. I think my best chance at getting them to coexist is to introduce them to a new enclosure at the same time, while the guineas are young, or possibly right after the chickens have been in there a day or two. I can and will separate them if I have to, but that's really a last resort. I really want the guineas for bug control. We have so many ticks (very wooded area as you can see by the picturs) and this summer we met Lyme Disease.
hmm.png

I built an extra large run hoping that they could get along, also keeping in mind that as of next spring, I only want the guineas coming in at night for sleeping safely. They won't be confined together after this winter 24/7.
fl.gif
this will work!​

Last edited:
Don't stress yourself out! Everyone's flock is different! I have a friend who has a couple guineas with his chickens and the guineas don't even get near the chickens! I think they will learn to get along just fine! As far as your pics of the guinea door..I think it looks good. Like you said it may need some changes but I suggest you make them as you go, to see what exactly will work before you fix something that's not broken.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Too late! Totally have myself stressed out. I want to make sure I have everything perfect, because we have so many predators and I'm so afraid of something getting them. You're right though, to an extent I will have to watch and make adjustments as I go. Thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom