1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How does one know who lays what???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henmommy, Dec 16, 2008.

1. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have several brown egg layers, but can you really tell who is laying what? I have RIR, BO and BR's. Sometimes I get darker brown egg, but other than that...I am just not sure.

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Well, there are trap boxes . . .

I have somewhat the same problem. When the BR first started laying - I thought they were Australorp eggs. I've had BR's before but this was a very light colored egg - like the Aussies (and also like your Buff Orpingtons). The 2nd BR to lay has a darker egg, more like what I expected.

I have had a RIR rooster but never a hen. Don't they have quite a dark egg, generally?

Watch the nest and check after the hen leaves it and realize that the egg appearance changes some over time, as well. . . . best I can think of.

Steve

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've read people use food coloring on their bums to see what color is streaked on the egg. If it works, I may try it.

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Whenever I catch one of mine laying I pay attention to what color egg it is. I only have 5 layers right now and they all have pretty different eggs. One EE lays blue and the other green, one RIR lays pinkish and the other dark brown, and then the Silkie is obvious b/c it's tan and much smaller.

5. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

:frowHere's what I've noticed and observed. My black australorps lay darker brown eggs, sometimes with dark brown speckles. The barred rocks lay lighter brown eggs and of course, the green eggs come from my EE's. Hope this helps, I noticed we have a few of the same kind of chickens. [​IMG]

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:Really! Along with the Buff Orpingtons, the Aussies have had the lightest colored eggs of the hens I've had. The ones I have now also have light brown eggs. Hmmmm maybe things are a-changing . . .

Steve

7. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't help myself....here's some gorgeous egg pics for comparison...oh, and a glamour shot of Racey. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    This is good to know! My first egg yesterday was a kind of darker brown with speckles on it! I was thinking it was from my black australorp. From your description it sounds about right.
    Do you know what color a light brahma may lay? She seems like she may be close but I am not sure what shade of brown they usually lay.

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    here is something that might help.

take note of the color of the ear lobe of your chicken.. It will be the same color as the egg she is laying.

.....jiminwisc........

10. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Thanks! I'll have to go and check that out![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by