How does one...? PICTURES ADDED!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Morgan7782, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Alright so I went to see my Easter Egger cockerel who I gave to a great lady in Folsom. I brought her Spade, because that is the Wyandotte everybody, myself included, believe to be a boy. The lady wanted a Wyandotte cockerel/rooster so when I brought Spade she was VERY happy and is certain he is a boy as well. So we had a wonderful lunch and I saw these BEAUTIFUL hens she had, called Dark Brahma's. They have beautiful color and patterns.

She offered me one, a trade for Spade the Wyandotte cockerel. She had a pullet about 5 months old or so, close to laying who was caring for the younger chicks. I got her. She is in with my 10 week old Wyandottes now, and she LOVES them. Treats them like her own chicks it is so cute.

So, I left with one less chicken, and returned with a nearly grown pullet. LOL!!! I still have my limit of 6, but I was thinking I would have 5 hens and be happy with that. I couldn't say no to this beautiful bird though, she is TOO sweet and friendly for me to have passed up. The lady bred and raised her herself, so she is my first non hatchery bird. I will post pictures as soon as I get them uploaded! She is SO pretty!! Now I have to read up on Brahma's lol!

Here are some pictures from my day at the ranch. Pippin is the Easter Egger cockerel I raised and he has a wonderful harem now.

Pippin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is my beautiful new girl, Monica!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] GOOD TRADE! [​IMG]

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Don't I know it! You can bet my mom was surprised when I returned with a not so empty tub though haha. [​IMG] [​IMG] My neice is like "So wait.. You brought a chicken to the lady, and left with a chicken?" She OBVIOUSLY does not understand Chicken Math lol. Trading a cockerel for a close to lay pullet is not a bad deal I don't think hehe.

P.S. Is she a dark brahma? I am researching the breed now but only see Light Brahma information

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, that's a Dark Brahma. They're my favorite color of Brahma, so pretty! What a good trade!

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thanks! She is very sweet and friendly. She doesn't know me yet real well, but I am able to handle her and hold her, she is fine. She has not made any aggresive moves to any of the youngsters in my flock, and seeing that she is the biggest and oldest, that impresses me. She is not enjoying being cooped up though, but I am waiting until Tuesday to introduce everybody because she is now just learning where her coop/home is. Last night she rounded up my 10 week old Wyandottes and shuffled them into the coop! And she is only around 5 or 6 months old! Already such a mother. I think and hope she will be my broody, but if not that's fine. I would loooove to stick some fertile eggs under her and have her hatch them out, I have a small broody coop already set up [​IMG]

Planning ahead huh? LOL!!

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Im so glad you had a good time .. Love the new hen she is so pretty .... And man Pippin is a stud.. his coloring is amazing

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't suppose you have kept her quarantined? Be really careful-if she brought something home with her you don't want it to harm your young ones. We bought some birds from a breeder that were awesome and from show stock. They seemed very well cared for, but we isolated them anyway. During quarantine, we found they had mites. If we put them with our whole flock, it would have been madness.

She'll warm up to you. Brahmas are very social and docile. They also make great mommies.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Wow, what a trade! They're both beautlful birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by