1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how does one upgrade your windows version safely

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by java girl 2, Dec 12, 2011.

1. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    I am sssoooo sick of my windows 98, se me computer !! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I hered that you can upgrade computers and not have to buy a new one [​IMG] Is this so and if so how do you do it ??? WARNING "I may be young but this needs to be thorore expland to me"

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    You can purchase the latest copy of windows through the internet pretty easily. 98 is an awful version, I'm surprised you aren't more upgraded than that. I used Windows XP for several years and it was a very sound platform. Windows 7 might run you a little bit more money. You can also look into packages(I *think*) and get like 3 user codes at a reduced price, so you can upgrade all the family computers.

If your computer is just running like a slug and things just don't work properly you can always try a reformat. If you are unfamiliar with computers it can be a bit to take in. I would ask around through family friends as it's only about an afternoon process. I wouldn't call any company and have them come out to fix your computer. Often times they promise you faster internet speed and a bunch of other crap, seldom do you get what you paid for. Usually a reformat, windows update and new drivers will fix all the problems you need, plus it's free.

Always be weary of a new program that can fix all your problems. Dozens of new malicious software are developed every single day. Look into a program called AVG(google it) for a free virus protection. I hope I didn't get all long winded for nothing and this makes sense. Good luck.

3. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    to update my first post. If you were having the problems I described I would reformat your computer, install a new operating system and first things first download Mozilla Firefox web browser, or even Chrome. From there you can get security addons and one of the best is AdBlock... all those commercials you watch on YouTube and news websites will be terminated. Also those browsers have built in protection against stuff called spyware. It essentially records data you transmit to keep tabs on you. Data mining if you will. If you can get a clean start and use those specified browsers(and I'm sure others) you can get off to a clean start with a good level of protection from the stuff that bogged you down in the first place.

Ok, that's all!

4. java girl 2

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Quote:this computer was giving to me for free !! have you see the one that you can get for free?

5. java girl 2

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Quote:what is a reformat and drivers ??

6. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Oh man, java girl 2, I can tell you are new with computers, I was there for a long, long time. I would ask around this problem with friends of yours or friends of the family. Usually you can network and find someone who can help the computer.. take em out to lunch or something for the help. It would be too much for me to try and describe through these forums, or else I would. I just can't stress enough that you don't pay an outside company to come fix your comp... they charge SO much for such little work. You definitely need a new operating system but you should really find a fam friend to give you any further advice. Any company that claims to fix the problem will only try and do so on a short-term basis. If they fix it for good they won't have a customer in a month.. you know?

If you are young you should ask your parents to ask their friends.. this can be fixed for free!

7. java girl 2

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Quote:can you email or pm me PRETTY PLEASE!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by