1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How does only ONE egg hatch??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spuetz07, Aug 8, 2010.

1. spuetz07

spuetz07 In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Cochrane, WI
    I had one egg (out of 28) hatch on day 20. I am at day 23 now, and not even a pip out of the others. Now I have one lonely chick that I am supposed to put in the brooder box alone?? Poor little thing! Why would this happen? One hatch should indicate that I did something RIGHT, right? Should I wait it out and see if the others will hatch in the next day or so? This is my third try, and first egg to hatch. I moved the bator to a room with a better regulated temperature...I kept an eye on the temp and humidity of the box each day.

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    what kind of bator are u using??? Homemade, store bought??

3. chuck12

chuck12 Songster

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    I would wait a day or 2 more.. I have had fresh quail eggs in the incubator and only had 1 hatch before.. I can only assume it was due to conditions not being optimal but I always checked temp with an expensive digital incubator thermometer and stuff.. them I have also had hatches where every single egg put in hatched.

Sorry it happened but keep an eye on temp and try again.

4. spuetz07

spuetz07 In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Cochrane, WI
    It is a little giant incubator.

5. Rebel Rooster

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    forced air or still??

6. spuetz07

spuetz07 In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Cochrane, WI
    Still air.

7. Rebel Rooster

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    mounting a small PC fan might help... make sure the air vents on top are opened on last 3 days and that the vent holes in the bottom of the bator are open... your prob sounds to me like either a lack of humidity and the chicks got shrink wrapped and were unable to breathe or there was lack of adaquate air flow or oxygen for the hatching chicks to breathe... I've had to deal with these kinds of problems many times... and everytime (if temp is correct) it was one of these two culprits... [​IMG]

8. puredelite

puredelite Songster

Be sure to check the air vent holes on the bottom of the Little Giant, sometimes they leave the factory with not all of the styrofoam poked out of the holes. Simple matter to take a small round object and carefully enlarge the holes for proper air flow. Keep trying! I just had one FCBM chick hatch out of 14 egg-spensive eggs so I can sure share your misery at this point. BTW, they were shipped eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: