How does shipping eggs affect fertility?

alleysrats

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 9, 2011
I won 2 separate auctions on Ebay for Lavender Orphingtons they arrived ok - air cells were a bit jiggly but not too horrible - there were quite a few porous eggs :(.

I just candled them - of the eight I put under broody hen only 3 are viable the rest are clears

Of the ten I put in the incubator - most are clears and two have blood rings...

Would shipping eggs effect the fertility that much?

I won 2 separate auctions on Ebay for Lavender Orphingtons they arrived ok - air cells were a bit jiggly but not too horrible - there were quite a few porous eggs :(.

I just candled them - of the eight I put under broody hen only 3 are viable the rest are clears

Of the ten I put in the incubator - most are clears and two have blood rings...

Would shipping eggs effect the fertility that much?
It doesn't affect the fertility at all. Either an egg is fertile, or it's not. However, shipping greatly affects viability of the eggs. Aircells and at a cellular level.

It doesn't affect the fertility at all. Either an egg is fertile, or it's not. However, shipping greatly affects viability of the eggs. Aircells and at a cellular level.  

good to know I looked at the eggs didn't appear fertile and this seller stated fertility 90% and said the post office must have damaged them ;) I think I'm only doing local now as the 2 doz silkie eggs I got are 95% viable only one blood ring in the bunch :)

good to know I looked at the eggs didn't appear fertile and this seller stated fertility 90% and said the post office must have damaged them
wink.png
I think I'm only doing local now as the 2 doz silkie eggs I got are 95% viable only one blood ring in the bunch
smile.png
I went two years doing just local/my own eggs because of the rates of shipped eggs. Could not bring myself to spend $ on a maybe. I just did my first shipped eggs- silkies. They hatched 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was sent 18, only one showed no development, 3 were quitters, like almost as soon as they started. 14 made it to lockdown and 12 hatched. Of course my contact is an awesome packer and the eggs were so fresh you couldn't even see the air cells on a lot of them....lol

A year or so back I read an artlcle from a farm that ships eggs that stated that you can not tell fertility from cracking open an egg that had been incubated to term because the blastoderm breaks down over the process of incubation if it does not develop. I have searched for some scientific knowledge of this and so far I have not found anything that says either way.

Back
Top Bottom