How does shredded newspaper work for baby chick litter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lakeman, Jun 11, 2010.

1. lakeman

lakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Abbevill SC
    Chicks will be here the 15th or 16th.

2. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    not right away. use paper towel for the first couple of days so they don't slip around and get hurt. then about the fourth or fifth day, you can use it. that's what my grandparents do. the only spot i use newspaper for my babies is for floor cover. otherwise i have wood shavings down. newspaper doesn't really soak up the mess. the poo just sits there. for me, i wouldn't do it.

3. lakeman

lakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Abbevill SC
    Keene's coop :

not right away. use paper towel for the first couple of days so they don't slip around and get hurt. then about the fourth or fifth day, you can use it. that's what my grandparents do. the only spot i use newspaper for my babies is for floor cover. otherwise i have wood shavings down. newspaper doesn't really soak up the mess. the poo just sits there. for me, i wouldn't do it.

Keenes coop, I did say "SHREDDED" newspaper, did you get that?​

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have tried shredded newspaper. It's not very absorbent and the chicks turned black from the ink rubbing off. It's also slick and can lead to spraddle leg. Even shredded.

I now use 10 layers of heavy paper towels on top of wood chips, removing 2 layers of paper towel each day. By the time the paper towels are gone they are steady on their feet and know not to eat the wood chips.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  5. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    It would not absorb the smell.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It works poorly in my experience.

I've yet to find anything I like better than fresh pine shavings.

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Just say no to newspaper. Its dirty and the colored pages have inks full of chemicals. Better to stick to white papertowels or pine.

8. zeus

zeus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    norfolk county
    I had a bunch of old bath towels laying around...so I used these..kept them slip free and warm...worked well for me!

9. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use paper towels for the first few days and then this year I am using wood pellets for their bedding. I have had 4 overlapping and successive batches in my kitchen brooder this spring and have had zero odor [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]. I had a real problem with odor using pine shavings in previous years and had to change bedding every couple of days. I bought the wood pellets at the farm and garden store and the price is really low. Good luck with your chicks [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. zeus

zeus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    norfolk county
    really-wood pellets...i might have to try that! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by