How does the hatchery sex the chicks at 1 day old?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by looptloop, Mar 25, 2011.

1. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    I couldn't tell if what I had were pullets or roo's until someone crowed! How do the hatcheries sex them so little?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Different methods. I'll list some of the basics, though certain breeds can be sexed by other ways. Some are not 100% accurate

Sex linked colors or patterns. - Some crosses produce chicks of specific down color or pattern, usually red sex links or black sex links.

Feather sexing - Also a sex linked trait. If you cross a slow feather growth female with a male that is pure for fast feather growth, you can tell by the wing feathers at hatch. Careful with this one. There is a lot of misinformation about it, but if done properly, it can work.

Vent sexing - The most common for full sized breeds. Highly trained people squeeze the poop out of a baby chick and look in the vent. There are several different possible patterns but highly trained people can tell the sexes fairly well. Depending on the skill of the person doing it, probably 90% to 95% accurate. Bantams are too small to use this method on.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. hoog

hoog Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, I was wondering about this too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by